Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    Gary Z

In order to compete with the JBL 2360A horn I will need the HP9040 that retails for 900.00$ Can,
    the driver 300.00 $. The MR94 would be more HI FI
    but the competition is to rough and for a large venue of 2000 seats you can't take chances with a smaller horn.

What about surrounds. Are the EV surrounds identical to the ALTEC surrounds ?

If you designed the A-10 :Hats off for you and congratulations for putting Altec on the THX list

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess I am a little confused with your comments. The MR94B, HP9040, and the JBL 2360 are direct competitors as professional install large-format horns. The MR94 is not, nor ever was, hi-fi. Nor is it a "smaller horn". The primary differences (other than sound quality) were;

MR series: 1.4" throat
    Very sharp edges to the pattern control.
    Horizontal begins to grow below 800Hz.
    Loads driver to 300Hz (except MR64)

Large HP series: 2" throat
    Softer edges to the pattern control.
    Horizontal begins to grow below 500Hz.
    Loads driver to 500Hz.

JBL 2360A: 2" throat
    Very soft edges to the coverage pattern.
    Horizontal begins to grow below 600Hz.
    Loads driver to 350Hz.

I believe the JBL driver sounds better on the EV horns. What is the venue?

Altec has not built surrounds in a very long time. I would hesitate to use old Altec surrounds in a 2000 seat venue unless they can be completely rebuilt by GPA.

I did not design the A10, but thanks for the comment. It was a hodge-podge of Altec/EV parts in order to get quick THX approval. The LF cabinet was a special unit for dual 3154 woofers. The HF horn was an EV HP9040 with a 1.4: throat. The HF driver was an old EV driver re-labeled Altec (because the EV version had already been accepted). THX was then, and continued to be quick to reject anything Altec. The story is they approached Altec before JBL with their cinema "standard" idea and Altec (Anaheim) turned them down.

BTW,
    EV large-format drivers are not true 2" drivers. The JBL large-format 2" driver has a 4" diaphragm. The EV drivers followed the Altec form and use 3" diaphragms. EV's engineers knew that the 4" diaphragm has harmonic problems and the 3" was a better design. JBL engineers have "re-discovered" the 3" diaphragm recently.

For many years the EV's large-format drivers had a "snout" that adapted them to the 2" throat HP horns. Today the EV large-format drivers are all 1.4" and you must add the adapter make them fit the HP or JBL horns. EV drivers will not bolt directly to an Altec horn. The bolt patterns are different. A simple adapter ring can be fabricated.

Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Gary Z

Thanks for the info. The MR 94 is a large horn .The last horns I worked with were multicellular. Just needed some clarification .

If things work out I'll let you know about that theater venue by E mail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12