Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What size are the screws in a 902-16

  1. #1
    Inactive Member argieX's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.

    I just traded some speakers for a pair of 902-16?s with some small square looking mantaray horns.
    The horns are mounted to the driver with small screws.
    I want to use these drivers with some other horns and need some longer screws.
    Being located in Denmark I have a hard time finding the right screws.
    Looking at the technical specs from Altec it should be 1/4 inch studs.
    But this is to big.
    Did Altec make any 902?s with 3/16 inch threads in the drivers ?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I mistyped #12 in my previous post and cannot edit, Please disregard anywhere i used #12 it should indeed be #10. If you have a way to estimate or measure, a number 10 screw maximum diameter is .189-.190 inches, and 3/16= .1875 inches.

    If you're measuring the screws at 3/16 diameter, they're likely 10-24.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Post

    - Both 3/16" & 10/24 machine bolts will screw into the threads that are tapped into the faceplate of the 902 .

    - Just be aware that at the bottom of the tapped receptacle / is the magnet slug . Since the magnet is ferrite it's easily cracked.

    - One doesn't want to over tighten and as a result, bear down too much on the magnet / otherwise you risk cracking it .
    - So, when using over-length bolts one needs to have a good supply of washers to take up the slack.

    - Emulating Altecs' approach is the safest way to avoid this issue / it means getting extra length bolts and cleanly cutting off the heads.

    - Then the bolts can be handtightened into the driver first ( as was originally intended ) before adding the horn and fixing-tightening down the nut .

    <> Earl K

  4. #4
    Inactive Member argieX's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you guys.

    The thread is definitely not metric, that is what we use here in Denmark, and both 5mm and 6mm don?t fit.

    I?ll see if I can get some long 3/16 and cut the heads off.

    /Kim

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    For SAE thread dimensions the next step smaller than the 1/4-20 studs/bolts commonly used would be 12-24 equating to a number 12 screw guage and thread pitch of 24 per inch.

    It's a pretty significant jump from 1/4 down to #12, if the screws in question are only slightly smaller than 1/4, they could be metric, perhaps 6x1 or 6x1.5. 6mm is a little smaller than 1/4 inch.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member argieX's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have taken a picture of the screws to make sure I get the right ones.

    There is also a couple of pictures of the horns.

    902screw
    small mantaray1
    small mantaray2

    I?ve got a mail from the very friendly guy Reed G. Hinton, he offered to pick up some screws from this place: www.fastenal.com

    But I?m still not sure which ones fit.

    The hole depth on the driver is about 3/8, so the overall thread lenght of the screw should be about 1"-1?".

    He suggested these:

    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...99944867&Nty=0

    Will they do allright, they look very short ?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi there
    I'm sure you can get what you need from Bill at Great Plains Audio. Here's a link; http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

    I have 20 Altec MR-902-16HF like yours. Here's a link to an Altec brochure page showing the tweeter; http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page05.jpg

    I bought mine from Stan Miller of Stanal Sound. He used them above 7K.

    I'll post a couple pictures showing 16 of mine in use.

    14

    15

  8. #8
    Inactive Member argieX's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you for the link Jungle Jim, now I now why there is a 6uF cap. inside the driver.
    I will remove that and use it with a proper crossover.

    I received some 10-24 setscrews from Reed, but they are s bit smaller than the original screws.
    It is no problem as they screw right in, and I can tighten the nuts to hold the horn firmly in place.
    But what is the correct size ?

    Here is a picture of the original screw and the new setscrew:
    902screw2

    Thank you all for your help, especially Reed who where very kind and picked up some screws and sent to me.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you still have trouble, let me know. I'll check one of mine and get a few screws for both of us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.