Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some time ago I reported that when helping a friend clean his garage I found seven duplex speakers and he said "take 'em". He is seventy five years old, in poor health, and on a fixed income. I told his son today to list them on ebay so the old man could have a little cash. Oh well, my good deed for the week.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Many years ago I was driving to my sisters house and ran across a yard sale. I never stop at these, but the 4 VOT A-7's on the front lawn caught my eye. It was a old woman who's husband and son were killed in a accident a couple of months ago. She needed the cash and was selling her son's band equipment, along with other stuff which didn't interest me.

NOT knowing what she had, someone told her to put $100 for ALL 4 A-7. They were brand new. Used only ONCE. I gave the woman $100 for the speakers. Put them in my truck and drove off.

I knew someone who was looking for them. Within 2 days I sold them for $1500.

I then went back to the womans house and handed her $1350. I took $50 for myself for gas and hauling. She didn't know what to say. I just turned around and walked away. Telling her to have a nice day.

My parents didn't raise me to cheat people. I felt that if I didn't give this woman the $1300+ who really needed the money more thenI did, it would bother me for the rest of my life. And I sure as **** could have used that money too. At the time I was a poor college student. But somethings are just more important then money. I have never regreted doing it. And I hope my kids would do the same thing if the same situation arises.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Agreed! What goes around, comes around!!! You Sir, are a man of honor!

Originally posted by HiFiPlayer:
    Hi, Igor and MIkeInNH

I only esteem to every respectable. You did very well. d

Honest peoples will get more happy and good luck in their future. d
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">forums forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, Igor and MIkeInNH

I only esteem to every respectable. You did very well. d

Honest peoples will get more happy and good luck in their future. d

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to be honest & say,I probably wouldn't have done what you fellas did, hate to say.
    But I wish I did have that kind of charactor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Igor and Mike I think i would have informed both parties that those items were worth a lot more and maybe suggested to the woman that i pay $100 per cabinet or assist her in selling them in a better venue. And about the 604,s i think i would of asked for a pair in return for selling the remainder. I am allways open for a great deal but in consideration of the womans trauma and fiscal position as well as the fact that those 604,s were in the garage of a friend how could i do anything different.I have to say it feels good to wake up in the morning and know that i have left a positive effect on someones life besides my own.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, Igor and MIkeInNH

Well done, both are good guys forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Igor, Mike, you are wonderfull people. I appreciate you both. Daniel.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually did inform the woman that the speakers were worth a LOT more then what she was selling them for. However she didn't have the knowledge or time to sell them any other place except her garage sale. If she put a $1500 price-tag on them, I'm sure they'd NEVER be able to sell them at the garage sale. She'd have to advertise and then she'd have strangers coming over to look at them. For a older woman who's alone that can be very frightening.

She was happy to get the $100 I first handed her. And as luck would have it, I knew someone who was looking for a 4 professional speakers. He was about to buy 4 JBL's (forgot which models) from a defunked band. When I showed him these pristine A-7's he fell in love. And $1500 was a very reasonable price for both parties.

And I had to buy then quick before some soccer mom bought them for their 12yo, not knowing what she was buying. Then this woman would have been ripped off and my friend would never had gotten the A-7's for a decent price.

BTW...This happened about 30 years ago and as of 2 years ago those speakers were still in use.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One GOOD DEAL I didn't pass up. A bar that was going out of business. I went to the auction. Everyone there who were bidding on the bars sound system were only interested in the speakers and amps. I was the LONE bidder on a 2yo MacIntosh MR-78 tuner. At the time, this was considered one of the best tuners ever made. Today it is still considered one of the best.

Kept it for 20 years, and sold it for $500.