Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Altec 19 ??? injection of reality.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Kitty,

My Altec heaven would be a living audio you-know-what for you...Magnificent cabinets stuffed with 515-8LF's, 511E horns/288-8G drivers w/N501B crossovers.

Please enlighten me on their shortcomings.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2004 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Look kid, if you knew what you were talking about, and had been around long enough to have really heard Altec and their sound, especially when music still had instruments, unlike todays digital, computer made stuff, you would know that although Altecs were not perfect on the scope, and many were far from flat, they make music, prerecorded music, sound real! Thats the whole thing right there! They are incredibly realistic sounding! Yes, they take a bit of work to get the best from them, and there worth it to do so!

Years ago, there were always those that were anti-altec because of this or that! There were the AR-3a guys, and the AR speakers were dead sounding comapred to Altec!

Then there are the JBL guys! JBL makes good deep bass, but Altec fifteens had a more natural, and lifelike way of presenting the music, and they were and are warm and nice to listen to!

Then you had the Dahlquist crowd! Very transparent sounding speakers, but compared to Altec lacks the grand scale dynamics! I suppose it was a sophisticated sound!

Granted the 19,s arent perfect. But Ive heard many speakers, including the B&W 801,s and the Wilson Wamm system, and they leave my soul unstirred! Altec speakers, properly setup, put the musicians and performance right there into your room!

You are entitled to listen to whatever you like, but dont tell us what to listen to, nor will we tell you!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, the Scotty-daddy! [Edited]

There is no need for you, or for anybody else, to protect your **** alma-mater and to advocate for me the Altec products. I do not remember I criticized them. I could (Altec was OK but in each class of thier products there were better performers) [This is patently false - TWW], but it looks that this forum has too few qualified/interesting participants and it mostly consists of the brain-washed-by-brand type of ?consumers? who do not deal with the results but only with the primitive brand-tribal paranoia. All that I did was naming the very specific issues that very severely degrade the performance of the specific model and so far the majority of the local ?frightened gurus? did not demonstrate any ability to have any perspective on the subject.

Was Altec 19 the speaker that deserved to be burned? Certainly not! However, there were a lot of reasons why the Model 19, A-5,7,9 and the rest of ?their best? are being sold today comparatively none-expensive and why the people who appreciate the Altec are just the eBay intellectuals with a bumper-sticker inelegance.

Anyhow, it becomes too boring to read and to react to yours (and another?s) childish, ill-mannered and blind nonsense. When you (and others) learn to deal with the assents of the subjects instead of exercising your own zombie-like inner lobbyism then perhaps this forum will host more interesting context then the unhealthy screams of the ?insulted? product owners.

Romy The Cat.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2004 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boltupright, you are probably correct: to come on an Altec forum to tell to the Altec suckers that the flagship home speaker is **** was stupid. Particularly if the Altec [lovers] have nothing ease in thier heads then the Altec addition.

ClausK, I here your point and it is well known that audio should be under-build. However, I just complained about the 19s and do not offer any ways to impure them. I feel that the entire topology of 19s is very faulty for any serious music reproduction.

GuyL, perhaps your and your friend listening ?intelligence? was not able to detect the fact that the corrector was just broken. [Edited] I do stay behind my word: I publicly and openly challenge you to demonstrate to me any +65dB phonostage, that you would be able to came up with, that will me able to overperform my 2x834PT-PS combined SU2. I challenge you with $10.000 and unless you accept the challenge [Edited].

Richard C, relax. I never make any posts at the Pi forums and whatever you have seen there were my numerous impersonators.

Generally, so far the majority posters in this forum are convincing me that my frequent method of ?Presumption of Moronity? ? while I approach to audio people is the best immunity.

The Cat

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2004 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by DSauro:
    Hello Kitty,
    Can't help but notice you cannot spray here. You must be neutered. wuff wuff
    Chiding aside, my Altec heaven would be a living audio **** for you...Magnificent cabinets stuffed with 515-8LF's, 511E horns/288-8G drivers w/N501B crossovers. Please enlighten me on their shortcomings.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What cabinets? The funny **** -machines of the Model 19? Besides: the 515s doing WHAT and HOW- this is the key? The 511E/288-8G? Try a few dozens of OTHER compression drivers and the most important a dozen of the WAY better mid range horns and you might learn why the 511/288 is juts a parody on horn/driver tandem. However, Dsauro, be advised that my experience of dealing with the audio crowd saddests me that if a person name the model number of a crossover then it mostly turned out to be very none-interesting

Rgs,
    Romy the Cat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK Romy,
    Altec model 19 - there, I mentioned the subject of this thread!

You would look better in your posts if you could spell. It looks sloppy, and I don't know why a genius would want to show people a weakness. If you start your thread with "Altec speakers are c*r*a*p", then YOU do stick to the topic.

I think that you have missed a few doses of Lithium, and should visit this website: www.bipolarworld.net. Yes, I do speak from experience; I have a brother on Lithium that talks just like you write, BUT he is also very neat, knows how to spell, and can compose a thought. You might actually have something interesting to say if you could mellow down a little. My brother lives by himself and has NO friends. Think about it.

Richard C.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Romy,

I won't bring up the topic of your thread because your argument is so pathetic it is not worthy of a response.

Dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All do respect Romy, I just don't see the point you are trying to make here, I will agree in writing that the Model 19 isn't the perfect sound reproducer, but will also state that I have yet to hear one.
    I have no other assumption as to your motives behind your post other than to stir up some [Edited].
    It really isn't productive at all!

Take care Cat!

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2004 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let us just get back to the subject of this thread, personal insulting set aside. All I can say is I wasn`t brainwashed-by-brand as the Cat suggests when I bought my Model 19, I live in
    Europe where Altec?s reputation has faded long ago. In fact I was looking for a high sensitivity
    speaker to work with my vintage triode amps.
    I bought my model 19 through the internet, and it
    was a blind date: I had no idea what was in store,
    and I was fully prepared to give it the chain saw
    and sell the relics on EBay had I not been satisfied.
    However, it was a revelation. I never had a speaker with such tremendous soundstaging and
    dynamics, the feeling of "being there" in a live
    concert, and I understand the words of Italian
    operas better than ever before. Of course I notice
    the shortcomings of the 19?s design that Romy
    mentioned, but they are easily compensated .
    I don`t get tired in long listening sessions like
    I did with modern speakers which are simply boring
    in the long run. I feel those engineers decades ago had a knowledge of sound reproduction which
    got lost over the years. Take a look at the
    present issue of STEREOPHILE: An ambitious amp
    maker (Lamm Industries) is demonstrating their
    latest models through Siemens Klangfilm horns
    from the late 1950`s. Guess why?
    Regards, Martin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hmmm...

A little research indicated that there is/was a Romy the Cat who has been banned from Audio Asylum for similar antics.

What say you, Romy (Roman?). Are you the same fellow?

taudo

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast