Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a single Vitavox crossover dividing @ 500 cps between an S2 and a K15 40. There is no model #; it simply syays "VITAVOX 550 C.P.S. FILTER" and it has an added-on brightness control.
    First question:
    Would a CN232 be compatible with this for my second set of speakers?
    Second question:
    Why does the S2 driver sound like shite when I bi-amp using an active crossover at the same frequency (550hz)?
    and to Romy (if you are tuned in): how can I make my own for under $10 as you suggested in a recent post? (actually this is an open question...)
    There is obviously something in the crossover which tames the S2 driver (what's a Zobel?)
    Thanks, Andrew

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Andy, first off all answering your other question: no, steam is not good for the cones. Actually any moisture is not suggested. Although the V15 are impregnated with moisture resistance thing but I would still do not go it. I remember as I screwed very good sound of some very good think paper drivers juts by wet-wiping the 53 years old dust from thier cones.

Now about the crossover. I do not know what CN232 exactly has but a few years ago when I opened the CN232 it looked like a regular second order with a little impedance normalization network. I do would not use it as Vitavox did. First of all I do not accept the second order at speaker level and second I do not eclectically correct resonanses. Also, I have no idea what you do in that ?active crossover at the same frequency?. If you want something very simple then tray a regular serial cap against 15 Ohm of the driver. If you used the original diaphragms than you my cross wherever you want: the S2 runs with then more or less flat. If you use the contemporary diaphragms then stay with higher crossover point.

The Cat

Inactive Member Andrew B Gransden's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Romy. Can you give me some more info on an "impedance normalization network"? How does that work? And how will the same thing be accomplished by using a single cap? (although I like the idea...)
    Andrew
    BTW, my bid didn't make it in time on the CN 232 xover on ebay last night... Anyone have a 550 cps unit for sale (in the event I can't put Romy's plan into action)