Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello.

I have a question regarding a pair of speakers that are being made for me.

I hope that you can help.

The Emporium are building me up a pair of 3 way horn speakers (vitavox 15" bass, vitavox horn and a JBL 2405 slot).

Im getting them made for me because I dont have the technical knowledge or ability to do it myself.

I am sourcing the JBL 2405's myself however. I have found a place selling 2405H - they appear to be more or less the same unit. Are they interchangeable? any quality/compatability differences?- I seem to be able to get the 2405H's brand new, and the 2405s used.

The 2405's appear to be available in 4,8,16 ohm. I am presuming that 8 or 16 ohm would be best?

Finally, I have found a few places selling them on the net, but if you know anywhere that you'd especially reccomend please do let me know.

Thankyou.

Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Using 2405/077s above 10KHz I can tell no difference between the ferrite and alnico versions. I have compared them and determined that for my use ferrite is a bargain as they sell for significantly less on the used collector market. "

this comes from a well respected JBL dude.... Thanks to Mr. Widget

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!

Ive found some cheap second hand 2405's that will do the trick.

They need diaphragms. The only question for me now, is do I plump for the cheap titanium copies by Radian, or go with the JBL originals..

Price is approx double for the JBL, Radian: $80 for 2 vs $180 with originals.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bottle-neck,

The 16-Ohm version, I believe they call it 2405J, is a typical mid quality compression tweeter, but for the money it costs it?s more or less OK. Try to palace in there an aluminum diaphragm; it will work higher, softer and less JBL-zippy. You see a tweeter should not be good or bad itself but be able to work ?interesting? in context of everything else.... Anyhow, if you do not like it, and you might not EVENTUALLY like it, then you will always be able to replace it. At this point I do not think you will be able to get any objective picture form anyone unit you get your own reference points about what "other people" are talking about. Get the 2405 for start and then see where you will find yourself...

The Cat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by reverend louped garou:
    I also hear that the AL diaphrams are 'better' but I have heard it the other way around as well -- another one of those personal taste things......
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is ease to see a reason why I always suggest do not pay attention to what the audio-people saying to each other. In audio it works kind of this way: one ignorant Moron ? express his opinion that do not based on anything else then his Moronic personal taste and then 20000 hoodlums accent the dropped statement as ?heard reference information?. There is two ways to figure out what is going on. First, buy both of the diaphragms and try (preferably get many drivers and many diaphragms in order to be able discovering about constitutions of the diaphragm?s material). Second, learn to analyze and interpret the ?heard reference information? critically. As far as I concern AL cones when I used the both of the method were unquestionably more attractive. BTW, it has nothing to do with my or anybody personal taste ? a typical audio BS excuse?

Rgs,
    The Cat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone.

I found a source of the JBL aluminium diaphragms for about 87 pounds, so I will buy those ones.

Im looking forward to the new speakers, and dreading trying to get them up the stairs in equal measure [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chris

Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also hear that the AL diaphrams are 'better' but I have heard it the other way around as well -- another one of those personal taste things......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

where did you find a source of the Aluminium diaphragms?

Incidentally I use the 2405 Alnico. I have tried the ceramic magnet versions and find that while they are ok the older Alnico type sound smoother and less obvious.

Which midrange driver are the Emporium supplying?
    Are they using the RH330 horns?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi

I found many sources of JBL 2405 diaphragms. I just put JBL 2405 into 'ask jeeves' and about 15 or so of the hits were companies selling diaphragms.

The 2405's Im getting are from one of the largest companies supplying the studio/stage market in America.

They test their second hand units, and they supply them without diaphragms for just 35 dollars, which is very very cheap I think.

When they arrive and are tested and prove to be okay I will put the address of the company up.

I dont think an RH330 unit is being used, although perhaps he will. I think the compression driver is an S2. I'm not to sure to be honest, I'm leaving the design and construction to him, I just specified a few things I wanted.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

NB

Just thought I'd mention I believe the 'Emporihorns' shown on this site are available again at the shop. I believe they were sold originally and came back a few years later.

I think he has them up for about 3,000..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast