Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I read your old system page and know that you used a 3 way system before, the crossover is passive 2nd order Butterworth at 400 hz for the low end and 7000 khz at the high end,this is my planning for my system too! Can you tell us your opinion about the performance of the 3 way passive against 4 way active system?
    What is the reason that you don't use the whole frequence of the 220 horn? Because I read some article about the horn speaker mention a 300Hz horn can run the frequence from 250Hz to 9000Hz.
    I have seen many French website of the Vitavox fans, all of them use 4 way activce like your new system, for your experience what is the benefits of it ?

Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It would be hard to compare the 3 way & the current 4 way because; (a) the LF enclosure was different, (b) the room size is vastly different and (c) some of the amps are different. I can only say that tuning is much simpler. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

The 220S horn is currently run from 250hz to 1kz. In the old 3 way, I had it going from 400hz to about 7k hz. (There is a typo in the orginal 3 way text.)

The freq range you can use all depends on the driver you have. With the 3 way system, I felt that it just sounded better to cross to the tweeter as soon as possible, probably because multicell horns tend to beam more & more as the freq increases. As for the 4 way, these were the crossover points recommended by the plans I based my system on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jimmy DIY:
    I read your old system page and know that you used a 3 way system before, the crossover is passive 2nd order Butterworth at 400 hz for the low end and 7000 khz at the high end,this is my planning for my system too! Can you tell us your opinion about the performance of the 3 way passive against 4 way active system?
    What is the reason that you don't use the whole frequence of the 220 horn? Because I read some article about the horn speaker mention a 300Hz horn can run the frequence from 250Hz to 9000Hz.
    I have seen many French website of the Vitavox fans, all of them use 4 way activce like your new system, for your experience what is the benefits of it ?

Regards Jimmy
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jimmy, beware of those French active horn people. Mostly the are very much fool of themselves. Also, certainly any generalization false but the questions your ask do suggest that you suck information form very bogus sources - the ?active French? with thier passive Butterworth might be just one of them.

Rgs,
    The Cat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Romy,thank you for your advisement, I have no idea on it ,and I do not do anything yet but just planning because I never use horn system before, In fact I prefer to use simple three way passive rather than active crossover, the frist problem is how to determine the crossover point,can you tell me what is the the best performance frequence rang of the S-2 driver? If I use the 220S horn ,the frequence with drop at 9 KHz, is it a good idea to use 4 way(dual S-2 driver for Lower to Upper Mids)instead of 3 way?

Regards Jimmy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12