Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi
    Can the S3 be crossed over from 400Hz ?
    Will I damage the diaphagrams using such a low crossover point?
    I am using a DIY tube active crossover(steve Bench design)with my Altec 515B and Altec 288c but want to try the S3 drivers with the Altec woofers.The woofers are in 6.2 cu ft reflex boxes and the 288c's are with 350 Hz round tactrix horns.
    Aybody compare the 288 drivers with the S3 drivers?I would like to hear other people's experiences?
    Regards
    Rajiv

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Rajiv,

For domestic use I'm sure 400Hz with a second order or steeper would be safe with the S3, although I don't think I'd want to try it on a horn as small as one with a 350Hz cutoff. In this case I'd have thought it wouldn't sound that great down there unless using a much steeper filter (with all the the potential problems that also throws up).
    Obvoisuly not loading the driver properly at low frequencies correctly could cause reliability problems at higher levels or in the long term through fatigue.

Best regards,
    Peter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Peter,

Can I cross the S3 in 250Hz or 300Hz with a second order crossover on a vitavox 220Hz Horn?

Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Rajiv,

I would like to DIY a tube active crossover too, could you tell me where can I have the circuit in the internet?

Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

S3 Crossover with a 220Hz horns.
    I am using the S2 in a hi-fi setup.
    400hz will be the minimum.
    At low power and high risk you go down to 200Hz
    But he responce will not be linear.

Regards,

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi
    Thanks for the replies.Iwill stay at 500Hz with the S3's.
    Jimmy I use Steve Bench's crossover design.
    It is easy to build and works well.Crossover boards can be bought from Gary Kauffman.
    I am adding the links to these sites.

http://members.aol.com/sbench101/#Electronic
    http://www.the-planet.org
    Regards
    Rajiv

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by vyju:
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies.Iwill stay at 500Hz with the S3's.
    Jimmy I use Steve Bench's crossover design.
    It is easy to build and works well.Crossover boards can be bought from Gary Kauffman.
    I am adding the links to these sites.

http://members.aol.com/sbench101/#Electronic
    http://www.the-planet.org
    Regards
    Rajiv
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Rajiv,

Thank you very much!

Regards

Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Richard Debarbouille:
    S3 Crossover with a 220Hz horns.
    I am using the S2 in a hi-fi setup.
    400hz will be the minimum.
    At low power and high risk you go down to 200Hz
    But he responce will not be linear.

Regards,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Richard,

I was once told by the designer of JM Lab in a HiFi show that why their product not provide bi-wire input, he said if the Mid and low frequency cross over 250Hz or higher, it's not suitable to use bi-amp because the human ear sensitive over 200HZ.

Many ALTEC user tell the same story many years ago, I found a Japanese web-site of Western Electric 594A, they also claim that the 594A should cross at 200Hz but not 300Hz because of the same reason (auto-translate by computer from Japanese):

Although a 594A driver tells delicately, without leaving expression of a delicate sound, the speed of the feeling of energy and sound is not an ordinary thing. All woofer does not catch up. It will use up to the cutoff frequency of a phon. If it is likely to become a problem about reflective generating, it will adjust by the extract tension later. Since the frequency characteristic near 200Hz crossing is already surveyed, the characteristic of woofer is united with this. I want to obtain with reference to the clause of this frequency characteristic measurement of HP about the survey characteristic. The network circuit diagram was as follows.

However, this method using a reactor is not common. 200Hz or less and 12 dB/Oct -- it is effective only when cutting steeply on low frequency called the above. 300Hz goes wrong. A reason is in the characteristic of man's ear. Since man's ear still identifies sound fairly sharply in nearly 300Hz, deception is difficult. If it becomes the crossing of 200Hz or less and 12 dB/Oct or more truly, an ear will become the peculiarity of the sound of a iron core reactor unable to be able to identify a difference easily. If it becomes like this, it will be called the influence of a difference of the difference of the material of in DAKUTA, or this discernment will become sweet. Compared with this, discernment of the difference of the corssover characteristic by the difference of direct-current resistance is fully severe. It is the strategy using the characteristic of this human being's nonlinear ear. It is better for 10u of C4 to be indispensable when hearing the vocal which cleared up although the slope was determined, but to remove, when asking for the reality of a piano. It has changed into the state where it attached usually. Refer to the item of other networks of Book HP for other details. A lower figure is a survey frequency characteristic including the characteristic of the room at the time of performing a -6dB ATTE nation to 594A. The level of woofer and a compression driver is correct in general.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Original source: http://homepage3.nifty.com/western/a...4_1444_nw3.htm

I have read many article mention that people cross the ALTEC 288 driver at 250Hz or 300Hz, but no Vitavox user cross there S2 or S3 lower then 400Hz, is it the Vitavox driver not suitable to work at this low level? Is it more danger than the ALTEC to cross at this level or just because it's perform not as good as ALTEC under 500Hz?

I know the WE594A is different from S2 or S3, It's quite happy to work under 300Hz but it's horrible expensive that spend US$9000 each and the replica from Japan US$5200 each! So the S2 or S3 is price reasonable for me rather than the Western Electric or the replica of them.

Replica source from G.I.P.Laborartory: http://www.gip-laboratory.com/

Regards

Jimmy

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ December 31, 2005 02:57 AM: Message edited by: Jimmy DIY ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ December 31, 2005 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Jimmy DIY ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ December 31, 2005 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Jimmy DIY ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 31, 2005 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Jimmy DIY ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally I got the answer of the case that to cross the S2 down to 300Hz in e-bay by Emporium, they are the authority of the Vitavox that their opinion worth for reference:

<font color="blue">Q: Hi, Is it a 220Hz, 300Hz or 500Hz horn? Thanks...
    Aug-11-06
    A: it is a 220hz horn but commonly used with a 500hz crossover because the S2 cannot handle 220 hz! if you carefully allign the diaphragm you can go as low as 300Hz with an S2 in a domestic indoors set up but where loud volume is required you a safer sticking to or close to the 500Hz figure see the unofficial vitavox website for useful info </font>