Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Datubie,

I agree with you: it is not so bad.

The mass-loading it also really helps, and practicality if you put atop of it the Chernobyl Sarcophagus. Also, really help if you put a jack inside it and begin to stretch it up, until it will be spherical with a tatrix curve. In addition, it would help if you take a sow and cut 4 inches in its perimeter, converting it from 330Hz horn into 500Hz horn.

Oh, yes, I forgot to tell that while you do it you should videotape it. When the film will be over it would be nice to trade it as a practical "horn improving manual" for the Audio Asylum Morons, and for the money you got from the sale you should be able to afford buying/making a normal wooden or a paper horn.

Rgs,
    Romy the Cat

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ June 30, 2004 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Romy the Cat ]</font></font>[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I was considering taking a mould of the flare, drawing it out on paper and have a shop I know CNC machine it out of MDF. And yes, I would make it a 500Hz horn too.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sure, this is one way to do the horn. BTW, if (let me say it again ?if?) whale you will be trying to use your S2 from 1000 to 12000 you come across to any ?sonic issues? (and I know that you will) them let me know and I might pitch the solutions to deal with the problems.

The Pussy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Romy,

I didn't actually mention either PP or SE as a preferable topology although I'd have to agree with your assertion that there are very few commercially available PP amps that work really well. I have only heard one. I've encountered several home built designs that do reasonably well with phase splitting done by transformer.

I also agree that we've wandered off topic somewhat so I'll curtail my contributions to this particular thread.

Can you recommend a couple of CD's I can find that were recorded pre war which have a sound quality equivalent to that normally associated with the better early stereo recordings of the late '50s and early 60's?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by guyser:
    Can you recommend a couple of CD's I can find that were recorded pre war which have a sound quality equivalent to that normally associated with the better early stereo recordings of the late '50s and early 60's?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was referred to the pre 1949 78s recording and the tape recording that never were properly pressed on LP because they used equalization (primary to truncate HF) to ?fix? (what they thought they were doing) the noise. In fact, along with the noise they screw up the music itself?

Do you want the examples? I do not know where to start: ton of them!!! I would just name a few that are just atiop of my head:

1) Oswald Kabasta ? fantastic German conductor. His CDs with WWII recordings are spectacular sounding. The LPs that I got recently sound very bad.
    2) Anything by Shaliapin never was pressed on LF with an appropriate quality. The contemporary CD releases by Likhnitsky or by EMI in 1987 (Good luck to find them!!!) are WAY more interesting.
    3) Entire Hoffman from 1900s is horribly sound on LPs and the Vai?s CD are way more listenable.
    4) Entire none-operatic Golovanov ?the greatest Russian conductor ever, if you find it on LF then it sound like garbage (primary due to the Melodia pressings). The Boneme?s CD are fantastic!

I may go on and on, but why? Pretty much any 78 recordings were not published well on LPs?

Rgs,
    The Cat

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 30, 2004 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Romy the Cat ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Romy the Cat:
    Sure, this is one way to do the horn. BTW, if (let me say it again ?if?) whale you will be trying to use your S2 from 1000 to 12000 you come across to any ?sonic issues? (and I know that you will) them let me know and I might pitch the solutions to deal with the problems.

The Pussy
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Err..I don't have any S2's. I'm using Altecs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *** Err..I don't have any S2's. I'm using Altecs

Moderator, ban this asshole, immediately!

:-)
    The Cat

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 30, 2004 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Romy the Cat ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Romy the Cat:

The Cat

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ June 30, 2004 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Romy the Cat ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Would you like to volunteer a donation?

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Datubie:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Romy the Cat:

The Cat

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ June 30, 2004 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Romy the Cat ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Would you like to volunteer a donation?

I was bored today, so I've started sticking thin cork sheet in the mouth of the horn, all the way back to the fins.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Datubie, the donations to the miserable humans contradict to my religion. The only place where I donate is to the benefits of the fussy pussies, something like Cheetah Conservation Fund at http://www.cheetah.org

BTW, I read your post above and was not able to get a rational why would you wish to go for a 500Hz horn using the Altec drivers? The Altec have own bass no more interesting then a porcupine?s fart and they desperately need as much help from horn as they can get. Also, they do not have the secondary resonance problems as the ugly as S2 have?

Perhaps I am missing something but I generally am not accustomed to recognize the sense of action on many ?pure audio? people?.

As usealy,
    The kind Pussy Cat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234