Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI
    I recently picked up a pair of Vitavox S3 drivers.I would like to have members views of how best to use them ,with regard to crossover frequency, and horn types.
    I have heared that the best Vitavox drivers are the S2&S5 and that the S3 drivers are not good,and that I would do better by buying an ALTEC 288.
    Please tell me that I have not made a mistake in buying these drivers.
    REGARDS
    RAJIV

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    I think you can rest easy as I dont think you've made a mistake at all. In fact I've just bought myself a pair of S3's too (which will be used in a secondary system). I've not run them yet as I'm waiting to get all the bits together (should hopefully fire them up later on this week) but I did briefly own a pair a few years ago so am looking forward to reaquainting myself with them.

To begin with I'm going to be running mine on RH330's and will cross them over at 500Hz via a second order filter.
    From memory these drivers do lack a lot of high frequency extension so I'm expecting to have to run a tweeter from a fairly low crossover point.

Best regards,
    Peter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI Peter
    Thank you for your reply.The S3 &S5 look to be very simmilar.Can I use the S5 diaphagrams with the S3 to improve the performance.
    What are the other differences between the two models.
    Regards
    Rajiv

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    I've not opened up my S5's so I'm not sure where the other differences lie apart from the diaphragm. However if I remember hearing it correctly the S5 had a lot of refinements made to improve the air flow which results in its superior HF response, but I'll ask around and try to confirm the differences.

The S5 diaphragm can indeed be used in the S3 but it's not something I've tried. I'll see if I can find out some more details about the change in sound and report back in a day or two.

Best regards,
    Peter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rajiv,

the biggest problem with S3 that they have ceramic magnets, which is not really is ?interesting? for FH. For FF the ceramic-ferrite magnets has less transient response and whiter colors? I would do not use any ceramic over 200-300Hz, but this is me. Still, within the family of the ceramic magnets is it OK driver.

Rgs,
    The Cat