Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELLO ALL
    I WAS IN NOVA SCOTCIA AWHILE BACK AND ,DISCOVERD A HOME THAT HAD IT"S WIREING STAPLED DIRECTLY TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE RAFTERS,RUNNING ACROSS THE CEILING IN THE BASEMENT DIRECTLLY TO THE PANEL, NO HOLES DRILLED ,NO STAPLES ON THE SIDE OF THE RAFTERS ,BUT DIRECTLLY UNDERNEATH THE OVERHEAD WOOD FLOOR SUPPORT RAFTERS,VERY ACCESSABLE AND OBVIOUSLY WOULD BE DAMAGED IF A CEILING WAS TO BE INSTALLED.
    THIS I BELEIVE ISNOT ACCEPTABLE IN ONTARIO BUT WOULD IT BE O.K. IN N.S.?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm almost certain it wouldn't be acceptable anywhere.
    It definitely isn't here in PEI.

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In Ontario cables next to ducting or beams are considered as being suitably protected. Where cables are not close to ducts or beams, mechanical protection is required. This may be achieved by using running boards. When conductors are strapped close to ductwork, running boards are required for cables in open space but not for cables next to ducting, or beams.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Over the years I can remember two specific instances where this was the case. I was an apprentice at the time (so that make the story some what old) so I am sure the code has changed?

They were both in large custom-built homes, both non-combustible construction, one was using the ?new? engineered wood I beams and the other had open steel web joists (OSWJ) with 2x4 attached to the bottom. The purpose was of course to get the large open area for the basement without having pillars/posts in the basement. Both ceilings in the basements were quite high, at least 9 feet maybe even 10 feet. All the piping, ducting and electrical was run on the underside of the beams, but from my memory not protected in any way. In the case of the OSWJ there were chases that went through the decking and then into regular wood construction walls etc.

In both cases the basements were not finished, but I guess they would have been eventually, likely using drop ceiling or reframed at the 8 foot level. They were both located in Ontario around 1980 or so. I don?t recall seeing it ever again.