Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm a 27 year old islander (PEI) and have taken two college courses since I was 18, both in hopes of a good job when I was finished, one was journalism, the other was Interactive Multi-media. I am currently employed in a call center doing tech support, a job I could have gotten out of high school. I am strongly considering taking the Holland College Electrician course because I have an interest and the PEI job futures site says there is a good outlook... I guess my question is... If I take the Electricains course and do well... will I have any trouble finding an employer and an aprenticeship?

I really don't want to waste more money on education that just leaves me being a smarter call center employee with more debt... so please give me some good info an what my real prospects are and what I can expect after completing the Holland College program... thank you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

so please give me some good info an what my real prospects are and what I can expect after completing the Holland College program
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi WW,

When I retired from teaching the Electrical Apprentice program at Holland College two years ago, job prospects were good for graduates.

I am a little out of touch with that aspect of the industry now, so I recommend that you call Dave Webster, the full-time Electrical Program instructor at the college. 888-6737 He should be able to advise you.

They have one-year Construction and two-year Industrial programs.

Of course, you probably know how it works, the top graduates get their pick of the best jobs, because the employers ask the instructor for his recommendations.

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Regarding the math requirement for the full-time program, I'm not sure what it is. I worked in the Apprentice Program.
    Dave Webster will be able to answer that.

Good luck,
    Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ed,

thank you very much, I'm just very tired of being the most over qualified member of the team at my tech support job, and the wage I make is not condusive to paying off my student loans or even think of ever owning my own home..(my dreams aren't big) Every course I've ever taken has promised the jobs were there at the end of the course... but well I work in call center now... lol

I know what you mean about the recomendation thing but there was also another factor in my other courses... willingness to move away... what I really need to find out is if the jobs are here and if they pay enough past what I make now($10.00 and hour) to be worth saving up for the tuition (I don't think I qualify for more student loans because of my debt load and I have already used skills development)

I guess there is a question I could ask you... I have Grade 12 Academic english and physics.. (actually I think my physics was grade 11... can't recall if I took the grade 12 program) but my math was general... Am I old enough, (highschool was 10 years ago) that my general math won't hinder me in being accepted?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello World Writer,
    Following are a few links you might find interesting.
    There are lots of things to "click" on within each link so have some fun exploring.
    Good luck!

http://jobfutures.ca/noc/724.shtml

http://jobfutures.ca/noc/browse-occu...rospects.shtml

http://www.jobsetc.ca/category_drill..._id=412&lang=e

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ed,

I'm going to call the instructor of the Holland College program on Monday.. I just have another question for you...

I realize the tutorials you have posted are for people in the business... but should it worry me that I only got about half way through the first one before you started to lose me a little with some of the formulas and what not?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

should it worry me that I only got about half way through the first one before you started to lose me
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't be too concerned. Most of my apprentice students required some classroom assistance with those concepts, especially the ones whose math skills were a bit rusty.

However, there is more math to come.

Ed