Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My garage already has wall board on all the walls. I am attempting to install 220 Volt service.
    Question #1 Can I install ? ? EMT Conduit on top of the Wall board ?
    Question #2 Can I install #14 3 Conductor Cable inside the ? EMT Conduit ( I would like to install split duplex receptacles).
    Question # 3 Is there any special grounding required ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

#1- No, unless provided with mechanical protection where subject to damage either during or after construction

#2- No

#3- Hmmm, depends what you mean by "special", need more info specific to exactly what you are doing

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If your writing from Canada. I don't see any reason why you can't run emt on your wall board. Strap it every meter and your golden. You can run your 14/3 jacketed wired in 1/2 inch emt. But I recommend you run single conductor. All that said local codes and egually important inspectors vary on what is permisible. A quick call your local inspection department will clear up all your questions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If your writing from Canada. I don't see any reason why you can't run emt on your wall board.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well as long as you follow this rule:12-1402
    (1)Electrical metallic tubing shall be permitted to be used for exposed and concealed work except that it shall not be used:
    (a)Where it will be subject to mechanical injury either during installation or afterwards;

You can run your 14/3 jacketed wired in 1/2 inch emt...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is just plain wrong!!
    From 12-1014 Appendix B:
    12-1014
    The maximum permitted number of conductors in a raceway is based on the actual measured dimensions of the raceways and the wires and cables. Where calculations of the maximum number of permitted conductors in a given raceway are performed, based on supplied dimensions or from standards for the products, they should be validated by measurement of products concerned before installation............

12-1014(4)
    The maximum number of conductors or multi-conductor cables in one conduit shall be such that the conductors or cables and their coverings will not result in a greater conduit fill than that specified in Table 8, and in this determination:
    (a) The interior cross-sectional area for various sizes of conduit shall be those specified in Table 9; and
    (b) Notwithstanding the requirements of Paragraph (a), the interior resulting cross-section of raceways shall be permitted to be derived from their measured internal dimensions or from manufacturer's listed specifications; and
    (c) The diameters and cross-sectional areas of single-conductor bare and insulated wires and multiple-conductor cables shall be obtained by measurement; and
    (d) Notwithstanding the requirements of Paragraph (c), the dimensions of single-conductor wires shall be permitted to be obtained from Table 10 for the constructions identified therein.

A quick call your local inspection department will clear up all your questions.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I Agree 100%

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ June 05, 2005 01:03 AM: Message edited by: bigrockk ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 05, 2005 01:07 AM: Message edited by: bigrockk ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What Bigrockk is saying is that if your 14/3 is bigger than 53% of the internal diameter of your conduit "it is just wrong" if not zoom zoom. So either do the math or go with single conductor or 3/4 pipe. And if you run your pipe properly there should be no concern with mechanical injury. The bottom line is check with your inspector he/she has the final say.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The bottom line is check with your inspector he/she has the final say.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a bit of a problem with that.

In my opinion, inspectors shouldn't be "making" the rules. They should only be enforcing the code. It is up to the contractor and qualified electricians to know what those rules are.

Most of the inspectors that I know do not want to be used as a "design engineer" by the tradespeople. It is not their role.

Where ya been, Murph?
    Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're right Ed. But sometimes a quick call can save an expensive redue. As to where I've been. I did my industrial ticket and am working at cavendish farms. Still a great site Ed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The EMT is being installed to provide mechanical protection for the NMSC. Is it nessary to provide mecanical protection for the mecanical protection?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What is necessary is too adhere to the code.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Electric Ed:
    In my opinion, inspectors shouldn't be "making" the rules. They should only be enforcing the code.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Originally posted by bigrockk:
    What is necessary is too adhere to the code.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with your statements however there are other factors to consider. People are not perfect. If inspectors kept writing defects until all work was 100% code compliant the country would shutdown. Inspectors are often put in a position where they have to pick and choose which defects they are going to write. The codebook is not always clear and some rules are outdated. The codebook does not address every possible scenario and in these instances the Inspector may have to make a judgment call. No two people think exactly alike and therefore different people will interpret rules differently. Inspectors can allow a deviation where there is no undue hazard under Rule 2-030. If you?re unsure it doesn't hurt to call the Inspector. Then again what the **** do I know?

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ June 07, 2005 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Cosimo Diano ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 07, 2005 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Cosimo Diano ]</font>