Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Greetings!

My company is using a testing laboratory to ensure we meet IEEE 515 in the U.S., and also meets CSA C22.2 No. 130 for Canada. In the construction review phase, just completed, I have been told that materials used for the power input do not meet the standards, and that the materials used would not be able to be connected in the field.

These products, electrically heated sample lines, have been used in the field successfully for over 20 years, in Class 1, Division 2, Groups C & D locations, i.e., hazardous locations. And we were/are entitled to place markings on our hoses since 1997 when we passed CSA standards in place then.

The complaint is that Type E wire is not approved under the tables being quoted by the testing laboratory. My question to you: Is there some clause that I am overlooking that will allow the use of a superior wire rather than use the inferior cables being quoted as passable? The lab quotes UL 515 Section 9.2.1 and CSA C22.2 No. 130 Section 4.6.3.

This is my first time using such a forum, so am unsure as to what occurs next. Thank you for your input.

Jim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Jim,

Here is an excerpt from the three applicable CSA Standards . . .

It sounds like the one that you should be most interested in is C22.2 No. 138-M1989.

The cable you choose can exceed what is written in the Standard, but cannot be anything less.

You must ensure that the input will be in compliance with the following rules, and it should be fine for Panel Certification.

C22.2 No. 138-M1989
    Heat Tracing Cable and Cable Sets for Use in Hazardous Locations
    (Reaffirmed 1999)

This Standard has been developed to address the requirements of electric heat tracing cable and heat tracing cable sets installed in locations where ignitable gases, liquids, vapours, dust, fibres, and flyings are present and constitute a hazard. The requirements for crush and impact tests specified in the first edition of C22.2 No. 138 are inappropriate other than for cables used in Class I Division 1 Locations. Different performance requirements will be imposed for less severe environments such as Class I, Div. 2, Classes II, and III, Hazardous Locations.

1. Scope

This Standard applies to heat tracing cables, heat tracing cable sets, and their related components that are intended

(a) to provide supplemental heat to maintain or raise the temperature of a pipe, vessel, instrument, or related equipment;

(b) for permanent installation in Class I, Groups A, B, C, and D, Divisions 1 and 2; Class II, Groups E, F, and G, Divisions 1 and 2; and Class III hazardous locations in accordance with the Rules of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I (the requirements in this Standard are in addition to the basic requirements applicable to such products for use in other than hazardous locations); and

(c) for permanent installation in gaseous mines in accordance with the requirements of CSA Standard CAN3-M421, Use of Electricity in Mines.

4. Construction of Heat Tracing Cable

Specific construction details of the various types of heat tracing cable and cable sets shall be as defined in CSA Standard C22.2 No. 130.

Heat tracing cable shall be provided with a continuous and uninterrupted metallic sheath or a closely woven metallic braid that provides a minimum of 80% coverage.

The heat tracing cable may be provided with an extruded or served nonmetallic outer protective jacket to protect the cable from attack or deterioration due to the environment in which it will be installed.

Outer jackets shall be rated at the same or greater temperature as the temperature code of the heat tracing cable as defined in the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the first edition of CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 130.1 of a series of Standards issued by the Canadian Standards Association under Part II of the Canadian Electrical Code. It is written in SI (metric) units.

This Standard was prepared to address the needs of industrial applications in use in nonhazardous locations, as separate from the residential and commercial applications covered under CSA Standard C22.2 No. 130.

For the purpose of this Standard, industrial applications include electric heat tracing (EHT) installed on equipment typically located in petrochemical, chemical, smelting, and other plants in nonhazardous locations. The EHT protects the pipe, vessel, or tank against freezing or maintains the temperature of the structure above ambient.

This Standard excludes EHT systems in concrete slabs, and internal EHT in nonmetal pipes.

1. Scope
    This Standard applies to electric heat-tracing (EHT) cable systems for installation and use in accordance with the Rules of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, on supply systems having nominal voltage of 600 V and less.

This Standard applies to EHT for use on metal or nonmetal pipes, tanks, vessels, and related equipment, in nonhazardous industrial locations.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the first edition of C22.2 No. 130.2, Heat Cable Systems for Use in Other Than Industrial Establishments, of a series of Standards issued by the Canadian Standards Association under Part II of the Canadian Electrical Code.

CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 130.1 was published in 1990 to address the specific needs for heat cable systems in industrial applications. The purpose of CSA Standard C22.2 No. 130.2 is to address the needs of residential, commercial, and other nonindustrial applications. Thus, the current edition of CSA Standard C22.2 No. 130 will be withdrawn after CSA Standard C22.2 No. 130.2 becomes effective.

1. Scope
    This Standard applies to electric heating cable systems for installation and use in nonhazardous residential, commercial, and other nonindustrial establishments in accordance with the Rules of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, on supply systems having a nominal voltage of 600 V and less.

This Standard applies to heating cable systems installed on or in metal and nonmetallic pipes and vessels and those for use in electric space and surface heating systems.

Tony Moscioni
    Electrical Inspector
    Electrical Safety Authority