Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Seems pretty quiet out there/??
    My question is how many separate circuits can you have in one switch/outlet box assembly?
    Example: A gang of 3 or more switches with a 14/3 (240 split) to supply 2 separate lighting circuits and some outlets. Now let?s say you want to have some outlets on one wall switched (half duplex switched) and the line that feeds these outlets are fed by a separate breaker as well, is having this switch in the same gang as the other 2 circuits (14/3) constitute a breach of code? As now you actually have 3 separate circuits in this 3-gang switch box. And will the lack of a neutral return from the switch to the outlet make any difference?
    Looking forward to your response.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have just joined this board and saw your post. I teach in the electrical apprenticeship program so I hope I can get this one right. I do not think that in the example that you have given that there is a rule regarding the number of circuits you can run into the box. I think the restriction would be only the number of conductors that you are allowed in the box according to rule 12-3036 and tables 22 and 23. Of course this is from the 18th edition of the code book and I would have to verify this when I get into work with the 19th edition.
    Hope this answers your question for you. If I find anything more I will be sure to post it here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you Gerry for your response, I belive you are right, as I haven't been able to get a response to anything otherwise, I thought it may be a service saftey issue, if someone had not verified all circuits were off when, say, they were changing a switch. Thanks again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Another question on this subject; is it allowable to have, let's say, a 2-gang switch box in a residential application which contains circuits from 2 separate phases, and have those circuits on separate single-pole breakers, or would they have to be on a 2-pole breaker so that both circuits would be disconnected when Joe homeowner decides to change his switches from standard to decora.
    I hope my question is clear enough.
    Any takers? [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It is perfectly acceptable to have each circuit on its own single-pole breaker, just so long as they are not sharing the neutral. If they share the neutral conductor then they MUST be on a 2-pole breaker.
    As a matter of general practice however,you would try to bring only one circuit into the example that you are giving. But if for example you might exceed the load limitations of one circuit, then of course you need to bring in another circuit.
    Nowhere in the codebook does it limit the number of circuits going to any box. Only the number of wires is your determining/restricting factor. Thus, if you were to bring a 3-wire conductor (on a 2-pole breaker) you would be doing yourself a favour in not using as much material to do the job.

I hope this answers your inquiry....

Gerry B.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Rule 14-010 Protective and Control Devices Required

(b) Manually operable control devices which will safely disconnect all ungrounded conductors of the circuit at the point of supply simultaneously, except for multi-wire branch circuits that supply only fixed lighting loads or non-split receptacles, and that have each lighting load or receptacle connected to the neutral and one ungrounded conductor;

We intend that multi-wire branch circuits that supply only fixed lighting loads or non-split receptacles be allowed to be controlled by separate single-pole disconnects in each of the ungrounded conductors of the circuit. In this case, we intend that the loads be connected only to the neutral and one ungrounded conductor.

Tony Moscioni
    Electrical Inspector
    Electrical Safety Authority

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now I am wondering if Gerry and Tony agree or disagree with eachother.
    Gerry, you are saying that my only concern with this type of situation is box fill and that I can run any number of circuits into a box and feed the from separate S/P breakers, as long as they do not share a neutral.
    Tony, are you saying that the only time I can do what I asked about, is when the circuits in question are feeding non-split receptacles, or when the circuits are feeding fixed lighting loads?
    Hope I haven't confused the issue.
    Thank you both for your responses.
    N/O

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I stand corrected as per rule 14-010(b) as Tony pointed out.

Thus the revised answer to the original question is that you can run any number of circuits to the box and that each circuit is on its own breaker, even if it is a 3-wire conductor. So essentially when running conductors/circuits to a box such as one where switches will be installed in, the number of circuits in it are not the issue, it is the box fill as I stated in my previous post, just so long as we are feeding 'fixed lighting loads and non-split receptacles'.

Hope this answers and corrects things....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Joe's question- how many separate circuits can you have in one switch/outlet box assembly?
    As many as the box will acommodate per Rule 12-3036 and tables 22 and 23.

Can multi-wire circuits (shared neutral) be supplied from 1-pole breakers?
    The ones that supply fixed lighting and/or non-split receptacles can.
    A multi-wire circuit that supplies split receptacles must have a 2-pole breaker.

For example, here is a sketch from one of my recent jobs. This 4-gang box with 3 switches and a split appliance receptacle is perfectly legal. You could even use # 12 wire with a 2-1/2 inch deep box, if desired.

Rec7

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ed,
    Just to clarify your statement...
    "Can multi-wire circuits (shared neutral) be supplied from 1-pole breakers?
    The ones that supply fixed lighting and/or non-split receptacles can."

With ref. to your drawing the 14/3 home run on the left that feeds the switches should be connected to 2 single pole breakers that each are on separate sides of the split phase from the neutral,(black & red = 240 volts) so as not to overload the neutral.
    Is what your saying that the 2 breakers (must not) or (not necessarily)be connected together by a tab bridge or wire tie, to ensure a safe disconnect for service?
    In your example you mentioned "You could even use # 12 wire with a 2-1/2 inch deep box, if desired." I understand your point, but it is always an afterthought of the customer to change all the switches to dimmers, thus overloading the box. Your comments? Thanks, Joe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast