Thread: Where are all the electricans?

Bob T

Ed,
    I guess in any trade good people are hard to come by, but it shouldn't this difficult to find electricans. I've come across this complaint in four provinces. I thought finally working on the Island for six months it would lessen my search. I maybe expecting to much from apprentices. I'm going to approach Dave Webster for OJT students.
    Great wed site by the way.
    Bob

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Bob,
    Are you looking for apprentices to hire? Maybe we could start a Job List - a way to match up employers with electricians. It's something to think about.

The purpose of this discussion board is a place for people in the trade to communicate with each other, but it seems to be slow catching on. Spread the word.

Ed

------------------

Bob T

Ed,
    We are looking to hire, right now I require two apprentices. The right persons could start as early as Monday in Summerside. Resumes can be sent directly to me or the office. Do you know of anyone with experence as a apprentice and who is willing to work?
    Today in the lunch room I asked the question regarding using the 600volt disconnect on a 240volt system. (good results). Bob

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So Bob what were the results of your lunch room survey? "600v disc and fuses on the 240v curcuit" I was going to phone the inspector, but since I don't have a use for the switch right now I'll wait until he visits our plant next month and ask than, no use bothering him at this point with a phone call. By the way I seen this done before in U/G mining plants but they don't have to answer to utility inspectors.

------------------

Bob T

Sam.
    Re: the 600volt disconnect. Everyone agreed that to protect the conductor the fuse has to sized to the proper amps. Just because the fuse is rated for a (max.) of 600volts its still sized for the proper amps. The temporary service I have in my job trailer has 600volt fuses for a 240volt system and is fused at 60amps. The inspector never questioned it.
    Bob

------------------

Bob T

Explosion proof flex????
    I recently completed an oil distribution terminal contract. Where I was told to use liquid tight flex at each motor connection.
    From the explosion proof box I left with a EYM, nippled to a liquid tight flex connector, approx. eight feet of liquid tight flex, to end with a angle teck connector on a explosion proof union.
    My question is, is that legal????????
    Bob

------------------