Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 2 questions:

1- Do kitchen counter outlets have to be 1 meter from the sink, and does this rule apply to all outlets installed near wash basins(laundry rooms ect.)? If unable to install 1 m. from the sink would I have to option out the split circuit outlet and install a GFCI in it's place...I'm in Quebec.

2- On the same subject can I use a kitchen cabnet to install an outlet? I'm referring to the side of the cabinet or having the outlet facing down from under the cabinet? All this is from lack of room on the backsplash but the counter is 24" so the code requires an outlet here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Receptacles are not allowed directly behind a kitchen sink 26-712(e)(i) regardless of whether or not they are on GFCI. A wall space 1m long adjacent to the kitchen sink requires a receptacle 26-712(d)(iii). Adjacent to the sink is fine, behind the sink is not allowed. The receptacle has to be a 15A split, or a 20A T-slot. An ordinary 15A (washroom type) GFCI receptacle is not adequate.

If the pony wall behind the counter is not high enough to permit a receptacle to be installed (even squeezed in horizontally), then it is not considered "wall space", and a receptacle is not required. You can, if you want to, install a receptacle on the side of a peninsula or an island, but this is optional and there are no code requirements for this. However this might change in the near future. Check out Subject 3130 at http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb...ML/000153.html

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 09, 2004 09:28 PM: Message edited by: ccrash ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In addition to the good advice offered by ccrash for your first question, there must be a receptacle located not more than 900mm (36 in) from the sink, per the CEC.

Here's an example of maximum spacings.

Rec8

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi guy?s, once again thanks for the informed response.

My concern is with reference to an older home with 40 inches of counter space right of the sink. It?s an outside wall with an unusual construction that will not allow a device box and wire without a major demo of the back splash, which brings me to my questions...

Why was I under the impression that all receptacles were to be 1 m. away from a water basin? All counter appliances seem to have a line cord just short of a meter? any ideas?

Why are standard bathroom GFI receptacles not adequate as I thought they were rated ?Class A? and are also rated at 20A.

What about my question of installing the outlet in or under the upper cabinet as you might in an island, could this be an option?

So to summarise: I can/must install a kitchen counter outlet adjacent to the sink any horizontal distance up to 900mm as long as it?s not directly behind the sink, and it must be on a 15A split or a 20A T-slot.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

A standard GFCI receptacle will not work because it cannot be hooked up in a split configuration. And although it has a 20A rating, it does not have a T-slot (that will accept a 15A or a 20A plug).

If the framing of the kitchen will not allow receptacles to be installed in the wall, and you want to...... . You better talk to the local electrical inspector about this. Putting the receptacles in the cabinet, under these circumstances, sounds reasonable to me. But the Code does state that the receptacle is to be installed "along the wall". Other possibilities are Wire Mould.