Thread: Let's Communicate ( a suggestion/idea)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

We ran a feature last year called "Code question of the day".
    It was a kind of quiz, where each day I posted a code question, with the correct answer being posted a few days later.

The only problem, there were only a few guys participating, and it was a lot of work on my part.

If I thought there would be more interest, and a bit of good-natured competition, I would consider re-running that series.

[img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] Or perhaps there would be interest in a similar quiz called "Basic Theory question of the day".

Give me some feedback.

Ed

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 19, 2003 03:22 PM: Message edited by: electric-ed ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think one could get more people to take part if one didn't have to go through the login/password thing. Alot of people don't seem to like to commit themselves to typing their own personal profiles on the internet.(ie your age for this message board). There is a USA based "Electricians Toolbox" that allows you to pop in and ask a question/comment easier but it is not Canadian. Perhaps the people who run this could take a peek at that one?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just found this web site about a month ago and I thought 'cool, a Canadian web site for Canadian Electricians'. I like the discussion board for the CEC code rules esppecially the proper application of the rules. Perhaps this board could try (with input from others in the field) a 'how to-scenario and WHY it should be done this way' using the experiences from others in the field. Even so-called -simple things- could be shared. My experience from the trade has been 'do as I tell you' without any explanation as to 'why' things were done the way they were done. Now that I am a J-man I feel that the real learning is just beginning. Oh another thought I really don't like to type -it's the old poke and peck method for me which makes this communication thing take alot longer to do, this might be putting a few guys off- but the comments/contributions are worth it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The log-in/password deal is a required feature of this board, and is designed to discourage the lunatics who often take over this kind of board for their useless blather.

Don't let the registration page put you off. You don't need to fill in all the spaces, just the one's in bold print. By the way, you only have to register once.

And you don't need to log-in every day. Just stay logged-in, and your web browser will remember your password.

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a good thing to me. I would hope that there are more Canadian electricians online who now know about this web site that would be willing to participate. As the moderator you have your hands full that a code or theory question would not have to be posted every day maybe only once a week or twice a week. This would allow more individuals to post a response. I would also like to hear from the fellow CEC readers some of the things they have learned even if it seems like the kind of thing that 'humm he should know that'. Let's be genuine we have busy lives and sometimes we have (what I like to say) a brain
    'flatulence' and don't always see the right way.
    I certainly don't have all the answers but I try to learn from my mistakes -oops did I say that- Anyway you look at it, the things we learn on the job or from others helps us in future days (possibly even stay alive). Better yet a good laugh over an 'oops did I forget to do that'?!