Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rule 14-010 states "ungrounded conductors shall ... be provided with ... (b) Manually operable control devices which will safely disconnect all ungrounded conductors of the circuit at the point of supply simultaneously, except for multi-wire branch circuits that supply only fixed lighting loads or non-split receptacles ..."

Does this mean that if a multi-wire branch circuit supplies lights and receptacles, a two or three pole breaker is required?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

No, I don't think so.
    If single-pole breakers are OK for three-wire or four-wire circuits when the loads are fixed lighting or non-split receptacles, I can't see any additional hazard introduced by supplying a mix of fixed lighting and non-split receptacles.

What do you think?

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most electricians, that I know, read it as "lights and/or receptacles". However, I know of one electrician who says it is "only lights or only receptacles". When I read the rule, I am inclined to think that he is correct. The hazard is that if an electrical inspector used that interpretation, it may be difficult to find a persuasive argument.

I am hoping to learn how the rule is applied in other provinces.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rationale for Rule 14-010. All electrical circuits and apparatus are subject to accidental overloads, short circuits, and ground faults. Overloaded circuits will overheat, and if the overload persists, temperatures may be reached that could damage circuit components or cause a fire. Short circuits and ground faults result from degradation of insulation or from failure of a device to safely open or close the circuit. Both of these faults could result in arcing and the risk of fire or extensive burndown of the affected electrical equipment. Switching equipment is required at various points in a system so that proper control can be achieved.

Intent for Rule 14-010 (see Figure 14-010). We intend that all electrical apparatus and ungrounded conductors be provided with devices (usually fuses or circuit breakers) that de-energize the circuit if an overload or short circuit occurs. Some circuits should also be provided with electrical equipment that will sense the presence of a ground fault and cause the faulted circuit to be de-energized. These requirements are found in Rule 14-102. We intend that devices that will open the circuit when the voltage fails, and keep it open when voltage is restored, be provided where the load is such that restoration might create a hazard (eg, a motor that starts unexpectedly). We intend that all circuits and apparatus also be provided with manually operable control devices or disconnects that are capable of disconnecting all ungrounded conductors simultaneously at their point of supply. However, we intend that multi-wire branch circuits that supply only fixed lighting loads or non-split receptacles be allowed to be controlled by separate single-pole disconnects in each of the ungrounded conductors of the circuit. In this case, we intend that the loads be connected only to the neutral and one ungrounded conductor (see Figure 14-010).
    Figure 14-010
    Manually Operable Control Devices

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Figure 14-010?

mackido.com