Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

I'm told that a 90 deg. flex connector is "not approved" for use on Teck cable... You must use an approved strait teck connector with a threaded 'LB' and a threaded reducer with lock-nuts to achieve a 90 deg. connection. Is this true? I can't seem to find it in the CEC. Please Help.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can only use equipment for it's approved purpose. I don't know the rule, but the inspectors keep telling this.

Normal flex connectors are not rated for use with teck - straight or angle. There is a straight 2-screw connector that is approved for use in a dry location. I don't know about an approved angle connector. Use of the proper connector on teck is being enforced in Regina.

There is an angle teck connector.

I have also used a straight connector with an elbow. I believe the elbows are called ELF or ELM, depending on the type of threads (male or female). They look like a threaded pipe fitting and it's a little tough to get the wires around the corner.

A capped elbow is also available. It's about the same as using an LB, but more expensive and has a hazardous location rating.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks twh. Approved fittings for the job. 'LB's are cheaper and the provide a bit more room to turn the wires into without damage. Inspectors in BC are also checking this closely. This is only for "TECK" and not ACWU or AC90 right?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're right on both counts. An LB is a lot cheaper than both my suggestions, and a lot easier to work with.

I've never worked with ACWU and have no idea about the type of connector to use with it. As to BX, I'm quite sure a 2020 connector is wrong, but I keep seeing it. An angle flex connector on EMT is another neat idea that keeps popping up. A twin BX connector on NMD prevents damaged cable from over-tightening. When fishing into a recessed panel, getting the KO out can be difficult. A simple solution is to cut a small hole in the drywall above the panel to fish to, strip the sheath back, and fold the conductors over the front edge of the panel. The panel covers are quite large and cover the wires and hole, nicely.

I think using the proper connector applies to everything. It's a good thing I'm not an inspector. I'm far too picky.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2-024 use of approved equipment, is the rule you were asking for.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanx for th' rule Jeeper