Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know what makes a breaker HACR rated. Seems to me that the code requires these on A/C units. HACR breakers are not available for the Federal Pioneer stab lok panels. I have never been asked for them by an inspector but I must wonder why Schnieder Canada would limit themselves like this.

Chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HACR TYPE

Circuit breakers which have been found suitable for use with heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment comprising multimotor or
    combination loads are marked ‘‘HACR TYPE’’ in conjunction with the Listing Mark.

Such circuit breakers are suitable for use with heating, air conditioning and refrigerating equipment marked for use with HACR Type circuit breaker. Use of these circuit breakers with heating, air conditioning and refrigerating equipment is limited to installations where the
    equipment is marked as suitable for use with any properly sized circuit breaker, or is marked for use with an HACR Type circuit breaker, or is not
    limited by any marking as to the type of branch circuit, short-circuit and ground-fault protective device.

Tony Moscioni
    Electrical Inspector
    Electrical Safety Authority

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

>Use of these circuit breakers with heating, air >conditioning and refrigerating equipment is >limited to installations where the
    >equipment is marked as suitable for use with any >properly sized circuit breaker, or is marked for >use with an HACR Type circuit breaker, or is not
    >limited by any marking as to the type of branch >circuit, short-circuit and ground-fault >protective device.

In other words, use HACR breakers when equipment is not marked as requiring them, or is marked as requiring them, or is not specific what it requires.
    I would take this to read that HACR breakers are required on all air conditioners, and therefore all the Federal Pioneer panels that are installed in buildings that contain air conditioner loads are in violation of the CEC since they cannot sell me a HACR rated breaker for the stab-lok panels.