Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I work for a small manufacturing company. I'm the only electrician. There is no maintenance staff. I build machine control panels, program and have the machines field inspected by Ontario Hydro.
    Maintenance here is minimal and done as required, when some machine breaks down, or a light bulb needs changing etc.
    The local hydro inspector came in yesterday and said all "routine maintenance" (2-004) requires an application and inspection.
    What is the scope of this routine maintenance? If I replace a contactor in a motor starter, or replace a light ballast do I need that inspected?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Rule 2-004 Permit

Electrical contractors or others responsible for the carrying out of the work shall obtain a permit from the inspection department before commencing work with respect to installation, alteration, repair, or extension of any electrical equipment.

Rule #2-006 Periodic Inspection

(1) An application for inspection may be made by the owner or occupant of any manufacturing, mercantile, or other building where electrical installation work of a routine nature in connection with the maintenance or operation of the building or the plant therein is required to be performed at frequent intervals.

(2) Acceptance of the application by the inspection department shall authorize the commencement and carrying out of such work during the period for which the acceptance is issued and Rule 2-004 does not apply.

(3) The owner or occupant shall maintain a record of the work performed, as the work is performed, which shall be produced to any inspector at any time and from time to time upon request and an inspection shall be made at such time and in such manner as the inspection department determines.

Rule 2-006 of the OESC provides for periodic inspection of electrical installations in prescribed circumstances. ESA offers periodic inspection services through a program known as Continuous Safety Services. ESA will provide a program to assist the Customer in meeting its due diligence, risk management and quality control obligations and objectives in respect of electrical safety in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

Tony Moscioni
    Electrical Inspector
    Electrical Safety Authority

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In B.C. I think that would come under the annual electrical permit with an electrician being named as a person responsible for the work.