Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a pool pump motor that is about 50' from the sub panel that services it. Does the bonding ground wire have to go all the way to this panel or can I bond it to the box that houses the pump motor service switch just above the motor which is fed with a 12/2?
    And in either case can I use a #8 bonding wire for this small pump motor?
    Thank you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The bonding conductor for the pump motor circuit has to connect to the panel that supplies it, and be in the same cable or conduit with the circuit conductors. It's size depends on the fuse or breaker protecting the circuit. (Table 16)

The #6 that bonds all the non-current-carrying metal parts, including the motor case, to each other does not have to go to the panel.

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So in most situations with pool pump/filter ,with the only non current carring metal part being the pump motor, I am able to bond the casing to the nearest electrically grouded box, like a switch or receptical box with a #6 bare ground wire. Is this correct?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the pump motor housing is the only non-current-carrying metal part associated with the pool, if there is no metal ladder supports, diving board brackets, concrete re-bar, or underwater light shells, etc, you won't need any #6. There wouldn't be any thing to bond together.

The only purpose of bonding the non-current-carrying metal parts to each other, is to reduce the chance of a potential difference (voltage) between them, in the event of one of them coming in contact with a live conductor.

Of course, the motor circuit will still have to include a bonding conductor sized as per Table 16 as outlined above, to trip the breaker in case of a ground fault in that circuit.
    This is the only bonding that would be required for the motor case, in this situation.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 19, 2003 07:45 AM: Message edited by: electric-ed ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I understand what your saying about reducing the chance of voltage variations between the different metal objects relating to the pool.
    But I'm confused as to your response 8 questions back Aug.21 (Pool Ground) when you state:

"However, the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment must also be bonded back to the panelboard supplying the equipment, so that the breaker will trip to clear a ground fault."

And yet here you state :

"The #6 that bonds all the non-current-carrying metal parts, including the motor case, to each other does not have to go to the panel."

If you could explain, as I was under the impression that all non current carring conductors will at some point have to be bonded to the panelboard that supplies the equipment in question. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to find it in the code book, I'm looking in 68-058.
    Is there any other area I should be looking in?
    Or have I been misinformed, as every installation I have seen has the #6 bond running to the panelboard.
    Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"However, the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment must also be bonded back to the panelboard supplying the equipment
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Notice that I said "the electrical equipment".

The reason #6 is required for bonding the metal parts to each other is because it is normally not in a conduit or cable, and thus is subject to damage.

The bonding conductors for the circuits that supplies the electrical equipment for pools definitely must connect to the panel like any other bonding conductor, and are normally protected by being in the supply cable or conduit.

This is only my own interpretation, perhaps we will get some other opinions.

Ed

Junior Hostboard Member Inavelis's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pool pump bonding

Bird migration has recently intensified in our area. Naturally, my garage, house roof and swimming pool have not been spared. These birds periodically nest in my garage's lintels. Naturally, feathers and droppings are scattered all over the property. I am against poisoning the birds or trying to shoot them. But it is very important to me that my pool stays clean during the day because it is used by elderly parents. I am grateful for all the investment and effort they put into my pool, but thanks to the birds I simply don't have time to maintain it. They also sometimes bathe in it themselves. I have already given up chlorine tablets so as not to kill any animals that might drink the water.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pool pump bonding

Hmm, my godfather once had a similar problem. He likes to work with his head and prefers to give all his physical strength to training but not to physical labour. He's lucky to have a wife who's a housewife. But the situation with the birds has shaken even that relationship that had been established for years. But the godfather wasn't desperate and bought a robot that capture floating debris. He says the most important thing in the home is that no appliance should outshine his wife or there will be trouble. I do not know, but judging from his stories he perceives this thing as a still cat that rumbles while working, so you can bathe with it at the same time and you do not affect each other's processes. So that the birds spend less time near the water, he has set up some bait stations around the site.