Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good morning,

I see that Square D has reduced the cost of their 25 amp double pole breakers and I am now seeing them used more often that before.

My question is only Sq.D suppling these breakers and in what situation would you use them in?

I would guess that a 60 gal hot water tank that will draw 18.5 amps may be one situation,but with a 10/2 wire to support it.

I have been seeing circuits suppling baseboard heating totaling 4K & 4.5K on a 12/2 that have these 25amp breakers protecting the line, this is on new construction in more that one location, what's up with that?
    Thanks in advance.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

You would think that a 30A breaker would protect a #10 conductor (the breaker protects the conductor, not the load). If it was a 10-2 cable then a 30A breaker would be fine. However if then condutor were to be in conduit that contained 4-24 current carrying conductors then it would have to have a 25A breaker on it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

With regard to the question on base-board heaters, the answer is in 62-114(7)(a)&(b).

20A/80%=25A

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Air conditioners are rated for minimum wire ampacity and maximum breaker size. The maximum breaker size is sometimes listed as 25 amp. I have seen 25 amp breakers for FPE, Square D, GE and Cutler Hammer.