Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The last part of my project and another problem.

The low voltage halogen cabinet lights I purchased did not come with long enough wire for my needs.

I simply plan to cut the harness at each of the connectors and splice additional wire with set screw type wire connectors.

My question is what type of wire must I use.

Different employees at the Home Depot give me different answers; 14 ga GTF single wire, lamp wire, outdoor low voltage wire.

Which is correct?

From what I can read on the wire I cut on the lights is:

CSA TEW 600V 105 C
    VW-1 CR(UL) MIN 18 AWA 400V FLEXING

Oh, and certainly each of these spices don't require a junction box (or do they?).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would definitely go with the same rating of wire.the 105 degree wire was used to get the csa certification. this wire is usually available at lighting stores.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys for the answers! (This applys also to the Splicing Electrical Wire thread.)

I really like this forum and the quick responses I get; the answers I know can be trusted because they are from professional electricians (not store employees who mean well but are not necessarily knowledgeable).

I will buy the "18-2 Securex"(LVT).

Just curios however, I was almost going to go with the single conductor 14GA (and buy one black and one white to make it easy for me not to cross them) and at the last minute figured I'd check on this board first.

What are the "code issues" with this wire?

"Low" voltage class 1 and 2 circuits do not have to be spliced in a junction box, but it would be wise to make sure that they are in an accessible location.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was plannimg to leave about a foot of wire either side of the splice and tuck it in the circular cut-out in the cabinet ahead of the fixture. In that way when I pulled the fixture out and down the wire where I made the splice would also come down and be accessible.

Does this sound OK?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The wire type I would recommend is "18-2 Securex"(it is also known as LVT). There are code issues with the single conductor 14GA and the lamp wire. The securex should be cheaper than the single conductor, and comparable in price to the lamp wire. "Low" voltage class 1 and 2 circuits do not have to be spliced in a junction box, but it would be wise to make sure that they are in an accessible location.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 23, 2004 12:52 AM: Message edited by: ccrash ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Halogen lights may be low voltage but they can disapate heat into the wiring. That is why the 105 degree rating on the wire.Please use wire that is rated for this purpose.I would post the code rules but because I presume that you do not have a code book it would be a lot of typing HEHE. The rating on lvt is only 60 degrees.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The sample of LVT I have in front of me has the markings "CSA FAS105 2-18 FT4 OR LVT LL 39965" . So the wire is suitable for use as LVT but has the higher temperature rating. I believe the wire was purchased at RONA.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well all I could find with this higher rating was 1-conductor 14ga GTF wire rated 600V 125C,
    so I had to buy 2 lengths.

I will use it unless someone here tells me I bought totally the wrong stuff.

I am right that it is important to keep each of the wires from getting mixed up at each end at each fixture?

Also I was planning to connect these one after another (series?); this is OK?
    (I am about 16' away from the transformer and about 4' apart)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The GTF wire is fine.

I was planning to connect these one after another (series?); this is OK?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whoa, mms. Lights are not normally connected in series!

What is the voltage rating of the lights and the transformer secondary?

Ed

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 23, 2004 10:12 PM: Message edited by: electric-ed ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Electric-Ed:

Transformer
    105W
    Input: 120V
    Output: 11.6V

Light
    Max bulb 35W, 12V

Oh, I was only running 3 lights per transformer.

Good thing I asked before I proceeded.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 23, 2004 10:51 PM: Message edited by: mms ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 23, 2004 10:53 PM: Message edited by: mms ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Crash

I am looking at a reel of lvt the label on the reel says CSA LL39965 LVT 60C MAX 30V

the designator on the wire says csa type lvt ft4 LL39965

It has a brown jacket.

Table D1 says type of insulation is thermoplastic. outer covering flame tested thermoplastic.

Fas is fire alarm and signal wire it comes in a no rating,90,105,200 c b ut of coarse it could be used for LVT.
    It has a 300 volt rating

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 24, 2004 02:36 AM: Message edited by: electricguy ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 02:37 AM: Message edited by: electricguy ]</font>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast