Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hello everyone
    I have been wondering when an ispection permit, must be obtained?
    occording to rule 2-004 electrical contractors or others responsible for carrying out the work ,shall obtain a permit from the inspection department before commencing work with respect to installation, alteration repair or extention of any electrical work.also the code applies to electrical work and equipment operating at all voltages ,in electrical installations in ontario.
    So as a contractor to install a hot water tank that has been there before(replacement because of tank has rotted out)would a permit be required ?

Now if the answer is yes then would a permit be rquired to change a burnt fuse for a split receptical?

I am sure that a if a permit is required then I know of many contractors that are not adhereing to the code.

thankyou, I have had a hard time finding any replys

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will only speak for Sask. Here a contractor must submit a permit for all work of electrical installation, which would include electrical conduit for telphone etc even if he is not installing the wire, security systems, data, ballasts changes in fixtures, electric water heaters, fuses over 600v. Here are the exceptions light bulbs, fuses 600v and under for any building type, and the replacement of light fixtures, receptacles, and switches in detached single family dwellings only. If that split receptacle was in a duplex house up to a commercial building then a permit is required.
    Owner permits are required for everything but light bulbs and fuses up to their limit of 240/120v. Owner permits are limited to a detached single family dwelling only and it must be their principle residence. Legally if they change a light switch or that split receptacle in their home then a $25.00 permit is required. But as you well guess we don't many of those. Generally the owner permits are houses, garages, basements, additions, services, hot tubs, furnaces, the more major things.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

THANKS JEEPER
    I HAD KNOWN ABOUT THE B.C. $300.00 permit(do not need a permit unless job is over 4300.00 in cost)
    THE SASK RULES ARE VERY INTERESTING,AS IT MAKES SENSE TO DEFINE THE EXACT MEANING OF THE CODE.
    THE PROBLEM WITH THE CODE IN ONTARIO IS EVERYONE I TALK TO IS VERY UNSURE, AND HAVE MANY DIFFERENT INTERPERTATIONS,SOME EVEN SAY YOU ONLY NEED A PERMIT FOR 100 AMP UPGRADE OR BIGGER!(this I know is not accurate)
    So If any one has some definate rules for ONTARIO ,Please let us know

THANKYOU again

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OOPS that is $300.00 not 4300.00

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Pilot,

I thought it was pretty clear what the regulations were in Ontario . . .

Let me tell you, there is not an Inspection Department in North America that goes to the great lengths that the Electrical Safety Authority does to reach out to the Ontario consumer.

Let's redefine when an application for inspection is required.

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code, Section 2-004 requires that an “Application for Inspection” be filed with the Electrical Safety Authority before or within 48 hours after the commencement of work.

Electrical Inspections are required for all new electrical work/installations as well as for the maintenance of existing electrical installations.

Electrical Inspections Are Required, As Defined In The Ontario Electrical Safety Code For:

NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION

Original electrical installations in a new house –requiring initial connection to the Utility electricity distribution system. Residential inspections involve a number of visits at various stages, including:

1. inspection of underground wiring – if required.

2. inspection of wiring to the meter, the main disconnect means (for example fuses or breakers, and inspection of grounding to service.

3. inspection of all electrical wiring prior to installation of drywall.

4. final inspection to ensure there is no open wiring.

RENOVATIONS/ADDITIONS AND ALTERATIONS
    Any change to the original including repair and replacement of electrical devices.

NEW CONSTRUCTION, RENOVATIONS, AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE WORK IN COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL FACILITIES

New construction refers to electrical installations creating news new business facilities – requiring initial connection to the Utility electricity distribution system. Renovation/Additions and Alteration refer to modifications to existing electrical installations and equipment. Electrical maintenance work refers to electrical installation work of a routine nature in connection with the maintenance or operation of a building or plant – this requirement can be satisfied through a Continuous Safety Service Contract.

NEW CONSTRUCTION, RENOVATIONS, AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE WORK IN AGRICULTURAL FACILITIES
    New construction refers to electrical installations creating news new business facilities – requiring initial connection to the Utility electricity distribution system. Renovation/Additions and Alteration refer to modifications to existing electrical installations and equipment. Electrical maintenance work refers to electrical installation work of a routine nature in connection with the maintenance or operation of a building or plant – this requirement can be satisfied through a Continuous Safety Service Contract.

NEW INSTALLATIONS AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE WORK ASSOCIATED WITH ROADWAY/TRAFFIC LIGHTS AND SIGNALS

Tony Moscioni
    Electrical Inspector
    Electrical Safety Authority

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELLO TONY
    I am really asking ,that If electrical inspections are required for all new electrical work/installations as well as for the maintenance of exisiting electrical work/installations,
    Then if I was to replace my exisiting dish washer (built in) ,I would require a electrical inspection?

With this answer definately would be yes, then when I change my electric element on the same dishwasher ,would I still need a electrical inspection? (because I have never noticed any appliance repair people hanging around the inspection office)
    Sorry for any smart alec type of response,but I am only concerned with what the rule of thumb should be ,
    As I am awhere of ,at any time a exsiting hot water tank ,or the like is replaced, or any appliance there is no effort made to the electrical inspection office.
    Now I may be totally wrong ,but it has been my experience that appliance repair people simplly do not apply for permits,should they be?