Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smackie Chan:
    You're approaching this portion of my argument from a purely legal and constitutional standpoint,
    I'm 'Studying. forums

and I'm arguing it from the perspective of employing common sense to amend laws that no longer serve society,
    I think they do. Like I said the STATES HAVE ALAWYS had the power to do what you are asking for. Interstate travel makes it hard to keep guns out of gun control states, but I think it is better than a Constitutional Amendment which would be a first. (shoot down, so to speak, a Right from the Bill of Rights. What is next? The 4th? 3rd? forums (The 3rd is to not quarter troops in your house in times of peace... THAT is outdated too.)
    [bb]
    but moreso from the layman's infrequent use of the public safety angle to argue in favor of tougher ownership restrictions.[/b]
    There is just little to no precedent for it is the problem.

It simply doesn't enter into discussions, when it seems that it should be of paramount consideration.

Like I said it is hard to work it into a legal framework because it has been 'on the books' so long without that type of challenge.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should it be done? Maybe so, but the Constitutional fallout is too great if you ask me.

------------------
    No sig.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Buccaneer -- you're starting to sound like IB when you say that intent doesn't matter. Just about anything can be used as a weapon or can be lethal in the wrong hands, but I'm not suggesting that we start arbitrarily outlawing products because they can kill someone. I'm advocating outlawing one product that has no other function. Why are you having such a tough time grasping this?

The drug issue becomes one of personal liberty and choice. I'm fully aware of the fact that alcohol and cigarettes cause many deaths, but they should not be outlawed because their use is a personal decision that doesn't directly impact others. Save your arguments about second-hand smoke and drunk drivers; the intent of those who smoke or drink is not to harm others, while the intent of someone using a gun is. I realize that drugs kill people, but as you stated earlier, so do a great many other products that are perfectly legal.

------------------
    I moderate with hate

Inactive Member The Vainglorious One's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buccaneer:
    We are talking about this society which is pointedly different in a number of respects to others in the world.
    True enough.

Do you agree there is a market in this country for handguns and do you agree that said market would continue despite prohibition?

Objection.
    Compound question.
    Seriously... I believe you are Right (on both accounts). I also KNOW that it can work elsewhere. So why not here?
    [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    No sig.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IB Says: "You want a well-regulated militia or whatever, then maintain a well-regulated militia; and ensure that every citizen knows what the fuck they're doing."

TVO says: "The reason you are an Irrelevant Bystander in this serious Discussion is because you can?t tell the difference between mandatory and voluntary."

[i]I pity you, with your flailing./[i]

------------------
    No sig.

Inactive Member MgoBlue-LightSpecial's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smackie,

It's a personal decision to pick up a gun and kill someone. The gun can't do it by itself.

Goodnight now.

------------------
    If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, forget it man, cuz they're gone.

-The Great Jack Handey

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally think a law abiding type guy who dropped 600+ on a Glock is going to take handgun legislation about as serious as a law abiding type guy who currently has a couple OZ.'s of herb stashed away in his place. They could stop the manufacture of handguns now but there are already so many it would take a hundred years to cause a dent in the amount taken from the public. Not many people feel safe enough to hand their personal safety fully over to Big Brother and that's a fact, until that happens there will never be an answer to the gun situation in America.

------------------
    [___*___]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buccaneer:
    Is a kitchen knife any less dangerous in the wrong hands than a hand gun? A corkscrew? A chainsaw?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The counter goes something like this...
    The danger of the Chainsaw et al is less than it's utility. With a gun it is the other way around.

I don?t happen to agree since I am so periwinkle of the Gov. that I think the danger of the gun is far less than its utility (to say defend yourself from the FEDS.)

But it seem to me you should at least know the counter if you didn't already.

------------------
    No sig.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MgoBlue-LightSpecial:
    Smackie,

It's a personal decision to pick up a gun and kill someone. The gun can't do it by itself.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point exactly. If there is no gun to pick up, another decision has to be made.

------------------
    I moderate with hate

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes a thread can make you go

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

m2

------------------

Inactive Member MgoBlue-LightSpecial's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't understand how the crime rate WOULDN'T rise if we banned guns.

How many years would it take, if the law were written today, to get guns entirely off the streets and out of the hand of criminals?

Wouldn't it be like taking candy from a baby for a criminal? Assuming the majority of said "law abiding citizens" kept to their status as just that, and got rid of their guns under federal law - that would only make the jobs of the criminals easier.

Oh, and darn, what would be the penalty for one of these gangstas if they're convicted? Nothing too severe that would have stopped them from committing a crime in the past. So what would really change?

Would it make you feel better to know that it's written in a book somewhere, that it's officially "illegal", yet you just read just as many obituaries each day?

------------------
    If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, forget it man, cuz they're gone.

-The Great Jack Handey