Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

My heart has been heavy for the last few days. I've been thinking a lot about 9 11 and how to address it at school. I was going to change the theme here for it...and well, I read, reread and delved into a myriad of info on it to the point on YHursday night I felt utterly sad and lost by it all, once again.

I decided that the importance doesn't lye in a decorated picture but in the hope that we all take a moment and at some point, reflect and hope.

It' not my place to tell anyone how to feel, or what to think. It is my place to share my words as I see fit.

Yesterday in school I put the date on the board. September 10, 2004. I asked what was significant about it and we eventually, if not right away got to the heart of the matter. We kept it light and I let them talk. A few guided sentences from me and they were off.

- What do you remember of the exact moment you heard about the acts of terrorism?

- How do you think the world has changed since then?

- How do you think our country has changed since then?

They did not let me down. I beamed with pride at these 75...11 and 12 year olds. They amazed me with their candor, their memories of that day...and their ability to see just how we've moved forward and the pain and suffering that....still continues. I am so blessed to have shared that with them yesterday. Their social studies homework for today - - To take 30 seconds.... remember the events of 3 years ago, remember the events of our time now, and remember how to use what happened/ happens to give their life more meaning and strength.

But...this is what got me the most.......I choked up cuz it was quite profound....

When I had asked what was significant about today's date..

<font size=30>September 10,2004</font size>

someone said... -

the day that no one knew ........

never forget...

<font color="#87C8EE" size="1">[ September 11, 2004 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Musings of a Rambleologist ]</font>

*Olivia*

i still look upon the images in disbelief when they are shown, it's still hard to understand how such a acts were possible

i was working late the night it happend (with the 12 hour time difference) and by the time i got home and switched on the tv, i watched first one tower collapse, then another and then over and over and over again, the images of one burning tower then the plan crashing into the second tower

i think the world was in shock for quite a while afterwards, trying to comprehend how, why, who and all the other aspects of it all

for me, it hit home a couple of days later....on the 13th i flew to see my sister, passing through london...and after sitting on a nearly empty flight over there, i couldn't help but wonder what all those people sitting on the planes thought, just before the crashes, it was chilling to say the least

but the real impact hit as i sat in gatwick airport, london, waiting for my flight to tenerife...an airport filled with stranded americans just sitting waiting, many had been there for days

and the announcement came over the pa system that there would be a 2-minute silence for all the souls lost three days before....and the airport fell silent....a crowded busy airport...absolutely still and silent, it was indescribable

sitting next to me was a man...probably in his 60s, who had earlier smiled at me as i took a seat next to him and told me he was waiting for a flight but none were leaving that day....he started sobbing during the silence....all i could do was take his hand and hold it...after the silence was over and he had sobbed a little longer, he told me his name was bill and his son worked in one of the towers and he didn't know, hadn't been able to find anyone to tell him one way or the other, was just waiting for a flight, any flight, out of there to take him back to what was waiting for him

that moment will always stay with me...the human face of it all, when it became a reality for me and not just something i'd seen on tv which had left a pit in my stomach and a pain in my soul

i don't know if bill ever found his son, i like to think he did but it's quite possible he didn't

so today, i think of you bill and hope

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

aww Fi...

that was so beautiful - thank you for sharing...

made me gulp sob....

For Bill..... [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Inactive Member EvolutionHasBegun's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i had plenty of time to think about this as i worked last night.... there i was at a chemical processing plant..working security in the middle of the night... i remember checking each truck as they came in... looking them over slowly as we were instructed to do.... and thinking to myself how sad it was that i even had to do this... how much things had changed the world around us in such a short time.... i remember reading the memo from the Department of Homeland Security.... talking about how trucks and tankers had been used as weapons before... and how industrial complexes were high on the target list because of the high casuality possibilities...i shook my head... things never use to be this way... i worked security before 9/11... things were so different then... it was easy to trust people.... but now... well you just dont know i guess... i'll be at work again tonight... watching waiting working.... checking truck by truck as they come in... not once did i think i could die doing this... but last night..and even right now... i cant help but think it in the back of my mind...even as unlikely as it is... its certainly not impossible.... what a sad world we live in...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

9/11.....a day to remember....all the changes..
    good and bad...in life....with tears....profound
    changes for me personally after that day...

Amy...you are a wonderful teacher...for letting
    them express their feelings....

FI....im praying for all the Bills out there...

Evo...be careful...be safe.....

Chele....you are right....forever in my mind...
    as i watch the towers fall...remembering the
    day i had been there in 1983...thinking with all the
    ugliness of new york...to look out from the
    tower...was so beautiful...and i wanted to take
    my future kids there some day...all i can do now
    is show them the pictures i took that day i was
    there....and show them the view from the "high
    in the sky" tower....still cry when i see those
    images.....

definitely a day to remember your friends...
    *HUGS* ya all!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The images will be forever imprinted on my mind..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't have much to add to what y'all have expressed...and wonderfully done...all of you.

i guess i will be the one who says it's time to get on with the business of gettin' on.

no slight intended...just time to show the bastards we grieve but live to be the strongest
    nation around...the one others come to for help...the one with many faults...many...but they are OUR faults and we will deal with them.

if ya'll didn't vote last time, or any time...PLEASE vote this time...for whomever you feel good about, right about. I'm ashamed that we point fingers at nations that won't allow voting and yet we fail to get more than 60-70% of our own to vote...and that's high.

For the 3000 some Bill's of Sept 11th, 2001...
    you are not forgotten, you are not alone. Those brave ones who tried to rescue you...the souls you see beside you and the ones who boarded those planes without a care...to the ones who tried to stop it and did by the phrase..."Let's roll"...to the pilots and crews...rest well knowing we remember.

Finally...to the families...we will never forget.

Peace people...<font color="red">LET'S ROLL!!!</font>

dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that is exactly the beauty I was referring to....

we already did....most people anyway.... Move on....we show it every day........

I agree though with moving forward....grief doesnt have to keep us status quo....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 3 years later - looking back... 9/11

My heart drops through my ass just thinking about that day