Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now I KNOW what all the commotion was about going past my place yesterday. I know the world ain't getting any better but sometimes you just have to wonder how in the fucking hell the place you live gets so fucked up. Here's the article from the local paper below... [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img]

Mac woman pulled from burning home

Published: July 3, 2008

By BEN TERTIN
    Of the News-Register

A McMinnville man has been charged with setting his southwest McMinnville home on fire late Wednesday afternoon with his girlfriend trapped inside.

The first two McMinnville police officers on scene had to force a door open to free Krista Suzanne Wiegel from the burning doublewide manufactured home at **** S.W. Marie Drive, McMinnville Police Capt. Dennis Marks said.

Wiegel suffered severe burns and was flown by Life Flight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland, where she was listed in critical condition this morning, according to Marks.

Larry Warren Barnard, 38, was charged with first-degree arson and first-degree assault. He was located across the street in a neighbor's yard.

He was treated for minor burns on his feet and legs and released from the Willamette Valley Medical Center. He was booked into the Yamhill County Jail on $170,000 bail, and was scheduled to be arraigned on the charges at 1:20 p.m. today in Circuit Court.

Each charge is a Measure 11 offense, punishable on conviction by a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 90 months.

Both Wiegel and Barnard are listed as occupants of the house.

Tad Bliss, Barnard's next door neighbor, said Barnard started "losing control" mid- afternoon.

"Krista's 10-year-old daughter came over to my place at 3:30 p.m., and she told me that Barnard was drinking heavy and starting to get angry," Bliss said. "At about 4, Larry's mom and stepfather came over to pick up the kids, and at that point, I knew something bad was going to happen."

Bliss said he was feeding his baby daughter, watching out his living room window, when chaos ensued.

"Next thing I know, I see him slide the bedroom window open and jump out buck naked," he said. "He just started walking away from the house, real slow."

Holly Smith said she was climbing into her boyfriend's truck parked across from Barnard's house when she glanced up and saw Barnard strolling across the road - naked. Behind him, smoke started billowing from his home.

"I heard his girlfriend screaming for help from the back of the house, in the kitchen I think" Smith said. "My boyfriend, John, saw a gasoline tank on the front doorstep and ran over to get it away from the fire, but there was nothing I could do."

Witnesses said Barnard had dumped gasoline throughout the home to ignite the fire.

Moments later, flames were rolling out of the east bedroom window where Barnard had made his escape.

Bliss then attempted to rescue Wiegel. He gave this account:

"When I heard the screaming, I realized that Krista was still in the house. I grabbed my garden hose and was able to douse the fire at the front door. A neighbor gal gave me the shirt off her back. I soaked it in water and covered my mouth and nose with it. Then, I tried to shimmy into the kitchen on my belly.

"I kept hearing her screaming, and I knew she wasn't that far away - maybe only six or seven feet," Bliss said. "Smoke was billowing black, and for whatever reason, she couldn't move toward me at all. She was just lying on the floor."

He added, "The last time I tried to get to her, I stood up and raced in but met a black wall of fire and was overcome with smoke. I had to jump back, and that's when the squad cars came."

Sgt. Scott Fessler and officer Michael Larue were the first two officers on scene, according to Marks. They were able to pull Wiegel from the fire. Witnesses said the burning front door forced them to enter through the back door.

Emergency vehicle sirens and flashing lights alerted neighborhood resident Tristen Fields.

"When I looked out my window and saw paramedics running so fast, I knew something was really wrong," Fields said.

When she ran over to take photographs, she saw Wiegel.

"Her hair was burnt," Fields said. "The paramedics had to slide burned skin off her arm to get the IV needle in, and she had burns all over her entire body."

Fields pointed to the cut chainlink fence in the backyard where paramedics removed Wiegel and charred remains of Wiegel's pants still lay crumpled. Bliss' garden hose hung limply over shrubs between his and Barnard's house, still dripping. Bloody gauze pads sprinkled the lawn.

At 9 p.m., police still had two blocks surrounding the scene barricaded off with cones and yellow tape, and investigators were still interviewing witnesses up and down the street. Crime scene investigators had started generators and informed neighbors that they would be working all night.

"Larry was an all right neighbor before all of this," Bliss said. "Everything was going good before his dog died. But I think he had that dog for like 14 years, and it died last week. Since then, he's been in a serious state of depression. Worse yet, he's bipolar, and he hadn't been taking his meds."

The State Fire Marshal's Office, McMinnville Fire Department and McMinnville police are investigating the fire.

Assisting agencies include the Portland Police Bureau, Yamhill County District Attorney's Office, Newberg-Dundee Police Department and Yamhill County Sheriff's Office.

Anyone with questions or witness information is requested to call detective Sgt. Matt Scales or detective Sam Elliott at 503-434-7307.

<font color="#616846" size="1">[ July 04, 2008 10:57 PM: Message edited by: BlackMagicRose ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arson: Anger and alcohol lighted fuse

Published: July 5, 2008

By PAUL DAQUILANTE
    Of the News-Register

Larry Barnard was reported to be intoxicated and not taking his medication for bipolar disorder when he allegedly set fire to the southwest McMinnville home he shared with his girlfriend.

He told McMinnville Police Detective Sherry McCuistion that he was angry with Krista Wiegel when he left her trapped inside with the back door locked. He said he wanted to hurt himself and damage the home.

Wiegel, 38, was transported by Life Flight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland and admitted to the Oregon Burn Center. Yamhill County Deputy District Attorney Jayme Kimberly told Judge John Collins at Barnard's arraignment Thursday afternoon that Wiegel was burned over 80 percent of her body.

A hospital spokesman said Friday she was prohibited from providing any information regarding her condition. McMinnville Police Department Capt. Dennis Marks reported Thursday morning that Wiegel was in critical condition. He said Friday he did not have an updated condition.

Barnard, 38, was transported by McMinnville Fire Department ambulance to the Willamette Valley Medical Center, treated for minor injuries and released, at which time he was taken into custody.

Barnard, confined to a wheelchair because of burns to his feet, was arraigned Thursday afternoon in Yamhill County Circuit Court on two counts of first-degree arson and one count of first-degree assault, all Class A felonies and Measure 11 offenses. On conviction, Barnard could be sentenced to more than 22 years in prison, based on Measure 11 guidelines.

Barnard's bail was set at $170,000 at the time of his initial arrest on one count each of first-degree arson and first-degree assault. Kimberly asked Collins to increase the bail, saying Barnard needs to remain in custody for the safety of Wiegel, a second victim who was not injured, the community and himself. Collins set bail at $900,000. Barnard is confined to a medical cell by himself and was on suicide watch Friday, according to the jail.

Barnard applied for a court-appointed attorney, but after reviewing his application, Collins told him he wasn't sure he qualified because he had access to money and assets that totaled about $10,000. Collins went appointed Keith Hayes of Salem to represent Barnard, but stipulated the defendant must pay $350 within 30 days for Hayes to begin working on the case.

Collins set a pretrial conference for 1:20 p.m. Friday on the charges, but those are expected to be superseded by issuance of a grand jury indictment that could tack on additional charges.

In February 2003, Barnard was convicted of driving under the influence of intoxicants and driving suspended, according to court records. A charge of reckless driving was dismissed.

He was sentenced to six days in jail, two years probation and fined $2,500. In July 2003, he was ruled to be noncompliant with his alcohol treatment program.

In July 2004, Barnard was convicted of physical harassment. A charge of fourth-degree assault was dismissed. He was sentenced to two days in jail and 18 months probation.

Barnard was charged with violating his probation in 2005 and 2007.

He and Wiegel were living in a doublewide manufactured home at **** S.W. Marie Drive.

Margo McGivney and Wiegel are co-workers from Meggitt Silicone Products on Lafayette Avenue in McMinnville. McGivney gave this account, according to court records:

McGivney accompanied Wiegel to the home because Barnard had been sending her aggressive text messages throughout the day. He was reported to have been drinking heavily and not taking his medication for bipolar disorder. McGivney was to help Wiegel collect some personal belongings for her and her children, and they were planning to spend Wednesday night elsewhere.

When the women arrived at the home, McGivney said Barnard was acting very bizarre and making suicidal statements.

The women came from the back of the home after retrieving the items Wiegel needed. That's when they saw Barnard standing between the kitchen and the living room.

McGivney said she saw liquid on the kitchen floor and it smelled like gas. She said Barnard was holding a red gas can in one hand and matches in the other hand.

McGivney said she picked the gas can up after Barnard set it down and walked toward the front door. Wiegel was standing a few feet from him. McGivney said when she turned around to look for Wiegel, she didn't see her, but Barnard's legs were on fire from his knees down.

McGivney bolted out the front door. Barnard jumped naked out a bedroom window. McGivney said she could hear Wiegel screaming for help from inside the home.

McMinnville Police Sgt. Scott Fessler and officer Mike LaRue were first to arrive at the home, according to Marks. The back door had been locked, but they broke it open and pulled Wiegel from the burning structure.

McCuistion interviewed Barnard at the police station after he was released from the hospital. He told her he believed Wiegel and McGivney had gotten out of the home safely after he set it on fire, but he had told officers at the scene a different story. The probable cause affidavit does not detail what the officers were told.

Barnard said he stood on the carpet near the kitchen floor, lit a cigarette and tossed the lit match onto the floor near the stove. The kitchen area quickly was engulfed in flames.

Barnard made conflicting statements to McCuistion about where Wiegel was when he started the fire, but he said he does not believe he pushed her onto the kitchen floor, unless it was by accident.

Tad Bliss lives next door to Barnard and Wiegel. He told the News-Register that Wiegel's 10-year-old daughter came to his house about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and told him Barnard was drinking heavily and starting to get angry.

About a half hour later, Barnard's mother and stepfather showed up to pick up the couple's children. Bliss said that's when he started to feel that something bad was going to happen.

Bliss said he was feeding his baby daughter and looking out his living room window when he saw Barnard open a bedroom window, jump out naked and walk away slowly.

Hearing screaming, Bliss said he realized Wiegel was still in the house. He grabbed a garden hose and put the fire out at the front door. A neighbor handed him her shirt. He soaked it with water, covered his mouth and nose and tried to crawl into the kitchen on his stomach.

He kept hearing Wiegel's screams and thought he was only a few feet from her. The smoke was black. Bliss felt helpless because Wiegel was lying on the floor and unable to move toward him.

He made repeated attempts to enter the home but was driven back by the flames and smoke. The police arrived shortly after he made one final try.

Barnard's mother told television station KATU Channel 2 that her son was out of work, upset at the recent loss of his dog and threatening suicide. She said she believes he did not mean to trap his girlfriend in the burning home.

Barnard is one of more than 2 million Americans who suffer from bipolar disorder. Formerly known as manic depression, it is a mental illness characterized by mood swings that can be serious and disabling. Manic behavior is one extreme, and depression is the other.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call McMinnville Police Detective Sgt. Matt Scales or Detective Same Elliott at 503-434-7307.

<font color="#616846" size="1">[ July 05, 2008 11:47 PM: Message edited by: BlackMagicRose ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

alot of fucked up people in this world and it just seems that it keeps on getting worse

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just don't understand. I would have made the motherfucker stand instead of letting him sit in a wheelchair at his arraignment. And instead of giving him first degree assault I would have slapped him with attempted murder. [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

Fire victim can bank on friends

Published: July 8, 2008

By BEN TERTIN
    Of the News-Register

Arson victim Krista Wiegel underwent her first surgery Saturday since fire severely burned 80 percent of her body and left her in critical condition. It could be the first of many for the 38-year-old mother of three.

Friends have initiated a fundraising effort to help cover mounting medical expenses and living costs for her children.

Wiegel's longtime friend and former co-worker, Lisa Miramontez, has spearheaded the effort. She said she has established an account to collect donations at U.S. Bank under Wiegel's name. Anyone wishing to help the family may contribute to the Krista Wiegel account at any U.S. Bank location.

Miramontez also has placed collection jars at checkout counters and the customer service desk at the McMinnville Albertsons, where she is a bookkeeper. She and Wiegel worked together at the supermarket before Wiegel changed employers. A picture of Wiegel, information about her children and a description of medical-financial needs are displayed on each jar.

"Most of our customers have heard about Krista and the fire in the news, but when they see her picture they say, 'Wow, I know her,'" Miramontez said. "So far, people have been very kind."

She said her own kids often play with Wiegel's children. "She is a wonderful mother, and my good friend. We both have horses, and we love to ride together."

On Sunday, another close friend of Wiegel's, Mary King, posted notice on the Freecycle McMinnville message board, requesting gas cards and clothing donations. She said McMinnville's New to You resale store has donated $75 gift cards for each of the three children in Wiegel's custody.

Contributions also may be made to the Krista Wiegel Fund for Hope at Columbia River Bank. Donations there are tax deductible, according to Donna Nelson, who many years ago helped establish the Fund for Hope to assist people with dire medical needs.

"Krista has such a huge heart for other people," Nelson said. "I've known her forever. She's always volunteering at the school events and 4-H and all those things. The last time I saw her, she was at school, helping out at a kids' concert.

"This awful tragedy ... I can't believe this happened to her."

In addition to her three children, one of whom is an adult son living in Montana, Wiegel is legal guardian of a nephew. Wiegel currently cares for three children who are staying in Tigard with her ex-husband, Scott Wiegel, while she is hospitalized.

King said the family needs gas cards for traveling to visit Wiegel at the Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland.

Last Wednesday, Wiegel suffered severe burns on 80 percent of her body when she was trapped inside a burning home in southwest McMinnville. She and Larry Barnard are both listed as occupants of that home.

Barnard allegedly lit the fire and was reported to be intoxicated and not taking his medication for bipolar disorder at the time. Barnard has since been charged with two counts of first-degree arson and one count of first-degree assault, all Class A felonies and Measure 11 offenses. He is in Yamhill County Jail custody on $900,000 bail.

After McMinnville police Sgt. Scott Fessler and officer Michael Larue rescued Wiegel from the fire, she was flown by Life Flight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel, where she remains. On Thursday, McMinnville Police Department Capt. Dennis Marks reported that Wiegel was in critical condition. No official updates have been issued since.

Miramontez said the hospital is not allowing visitors and that she believes Wiegel's condition is still critical. But she said Wiegel's friends and family have reason to hope.

"She went into her first surgery on Saturday and made it through that," Miramontez said. "Doctors said she is doing about as well as they could expect, considering her condition. I think that she's got more surgeries coming up, but when they happen is going to depend on how she's doing."

Miramontez said she wants to team with Wiegel's employer, Meggitt Silicone Products, to continue fundraising.

"I want to do a couple of car washes and community barbecues," she said, "and maybe a silent auction if we can get good donations from people."

King said she worries about the kids being separated from their mother and that she misses her friend. "Krista's going to be in the hospital for a long time," she said.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Attempted murder added to arson

Published: August 5, 2008

By PAUL DAQUILANTE
    Of the News-Register

Larry Warren Barnard showed no emotion Monday afternoon in Yamhill County Circuit Court when he was read an amended indictment charging him with one count each of attempted aggravated murder and attempted murder.

He allegedly set fire July 2 to the southwest McMinnville home he shared with his girlfriend while she was trapped inside. Krista Wiegel remains in critical condition in the Oregon Burn Center at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland.

The amended indictment also charges the 38-year-old Barnard with two counts each of first-degree arson and second-degree assault and one count each of attempted first-degree assault, first-degree assault and recklessly endangering another person.

The attempted murder, arson and first-degree assault charges all are Class A felonies and Measure 11 offenses, punishable on conviction by lengthy prison sentences. Combined, the two attempted murder charges add up to more than 15 years.

Second-degree assault is a Class B felony and recklessly endangering a Class B misdemeanor.

Deputy District Attorney Lisl Miller said an original indictment can be amended multiple times. The same grand jury that originally indicted Barnard was reconvened and returned the amended version.

Miller would not comment on specifics that persuaded the grand jury to add the attempted aggravated murder and attempted murder charges, related to Wiegel, and the attempted first-degree assault charge, related to Margo McGivney, who also was in the house at the time of the fire. She escaped unharmed.

"New information and reports can come to light," Miller said. "Or maybe a witness was not able to originally testify before the grand jury."

Barnard said nothing during the proceeding. He conferred with his court-appointed attorney, Keith Hayes of Salem. No plea offer has been made to Barnard by the DA's office, and it was made clear the DA has concerns about Wiegel's condition, which is partly responsible for its unwillingness to extend an offer at this time.

Judge Cal Tichenor left Barnard's bail at $1.5 million. He would have to post $150,000 to secure his release. He will return to court at 4 p.m. Monday, Aug. 25, for a pretrial conference.

Barnard was reported to be intoxicated and not taking his medication for bipolar disorder when he allegedly torched his home, according to the probable cause statement.

He told McMinnville Police Detective Sherry McCuistion that he was angry with Wiegel when he left her trapped inside with the back door locked. He said he wanted to hurt himself and damage the home.

Barnard and Wiegel were living in a doublewide manufactured home at 1187 S.W. Marie Drive. Also living in the home were two of her children, both girls, and a nephew.

McGivney gave this account, court records state:

She accompanied Wiegel to the home because Barnard had been sending her aggressive text messages throughout the day. He was reportedly drinking heavily and not taking his medication for bipolar disorder.

McGivney was to help Wiegel collect some personal belongings for her and her children, and they were planning to spend the night elsewhere.

When the women arrived at the home, McGivney said Barnard was acting very strangely and making suicidal statements.

The women came from the back of the home after retrieving the items Wiegel needed. That's when they saw Barnard standing between the kitchen and the living room.

McGivney said she saw liquid on the kitchen floor and it smelled like gas. She said Barnard was holding a red gas can in one hand and matches in the other hand.

McGivney said she picked the gas can up after Barnard set it down and walked toward the front door. Wiegel was standing a few feet from him. McGivney said when she turned around to look for her friend, she didn't see her, but the bottom part of Barnard's legs were on fire.

McGivney bolted out the front door. Barnard jumped naked out a bedroom window and ran around the neighborhood. McGivney said she could hear Wiegel screaming for help from inside the home.

McMinnville Police Sgt. Scott Fessler and officer Mike LaRue were first to arrive at the home. The back door had been locked, but they broke it open and pulled Wiegel from the burning structure.

McCuistion interviewed Barnard at the police station after he was released from the Willamette Valley Medical Center. He told her he believed Wiegel and McGivney had gotten out of the home safely after he set it on fire.

Barnard said he stood on the carpet near the kitchen floor, lit a cigarette and tossed the lit match onto the floor near the stove. The kitchen area quickly was engulfed in flames.

Barnard said he does not believe he pushed Wiegel onto the kitchen floor, unless it was by accident.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am BEYOND PISSED right now. Basically knowing that that fucking asshole is going to fucking walk. Life means so little to people anymore that instead of pursuing justice for the victims they pursue aquittal or reduced sentences for the motherfucking sack of shit criminals.

Krista Wiegel succumbs to burns
    Local News | 1 day 18 hours ago | Comments 0

By Paul Daquilante

Krista Wiegel, trapped inside when her boyfriend allegedly set their southwest McMinnville residence ablaze with gasoline on July 2, died at 2 a.m. Monday in the Oregon Burn Center at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland.

Rushed to Emanuel by Life Flight helicopter, Wiegel had sustained burns to 80 percent of her body. She never got off the critical list.

She underwent extensive skin-grafting to repair burn damage. Doctors kept her heavily sedated throughout.

As a result of her death, boyfriend Larry Warren Barnard was arraigned Monday afternoon in Yamhill County Circuit court on an amended district attorney's information, upgrading charges of attempted aggravated murder and attempted murder to aggravated murder and murder.

Being held without bail in the Yamhill County Jail, he also faces two counts each of first-degree arson and second-degree assault and one count each of first-degree assault, attempted first-degree assault and recklessly endangering another person.

---

The prosecution has the option of seeking the death penalty in aggravated murder cases. District attorney Brad Berry said his office has not yet made a decision on that and probably won't for some time.

At the minimum, aggravated murder and murder carry life sentences. Several of the other charges fall under Measure 11, thus carrying long prison terms of their own.

Prosecutor Lisl Miller said the murder charge alleges Barnard intentionally killed Wiegel. The aggravated murder charge alleges he did so in the course of committing the Class A felony crime of first-degree arson.

The case will be resubmitted to a grand jury for an amended indictment, Miller said. She said the law prohibits her from disclosing the grand jury's schedule, but said she expects to have an amended indictment to present prior to Aug. 27, when Barnard is next scheduled in court.

In addition to the death penalty, aggravated murder carries two possible sentences, life without the possibility of parole and life with the possibility of parole after 30 years. The sentence mandated for murder without aggravation is life with the possibility of parole after 25 years.

Barnard appeared by video for his Monday arraignment.

He sat at a table with his arms folded and his head bowed as Judge John Collins read the charges. He remained mute throughout.

Earlier, Collins had appointed Salem attorney Keith Hayes to represent Barnard. Hayes was not able to be in court for the arraignment proceedings, so McMinnville attorney Janmarie Dielschneider stood in for him.

Collins indicated a second defense attorney probably would be assigned to the case, due to the severity of the charges.

Wiegel and Barnard, both 38, were sharing a doublewide manufactured home at **** S.W. Marie Drive with two of her children, both girls, and a nephew.

Barnard had allegedly quit taking his medication for bipolar disorder, gone on a drinking binge and threatened violence. That alarmed Wiegel, so she went to the residence with friend Margo McGivney of McMinnville to gather up some personal belongings.

McGivney gave this account, according to court records:

When the women arrived, Barnard was making suicidal statements and acting strangely. As they emerged from a back room with some of Wiegel's things, they discovered the kitchen floor had been doused with gasoline and encountered Barnard with a gas can in one hand and matches in the other.

When Barnard set the can down, McGivney picked it up and headed for the door. Meanwhile, Barnard lit a cigarette and tossed the lit match onto the floor near the stove.

McGivney looked back to see Barnard's lower legs engulfed in flame. She didn't see any sign of Wiegel.

McGivney bolted out the front door. Barnard jumped through a bedroom window with no clothes on and ran across the street. McGivney could hear Wiegel screaming, but couldn't get to her.

Barnard told police that if he knocked Wiegel to the floor, thwarting her escape, it was an accident. He said he assumed she had gotten out safely.

McMinnville Police Sgt. Scott Fessler and officer Mike LaRue were the first emergency personnel to arrive. They broke the locked back door down, reached Wiegel and pulled her outside.

By then, however, she had suffered extensive burns that eventually claimed her life, despite the best efforts of the staff at Emanuel's nationally recognized burn center.

Barnard told detective Sherry McCuistion he was angry with Wiegel when he set the house on fire and left her trapped inside with the back door locked. He said his aim wasn't to hurt her, however, rather to hurt himself and damage the home.

Wiegel, who is divorced, has been the beneficiary of a tremendous outpouring of support from the community. A recent fundraiser outside the McMinnville Albertsons, where she used to work, raised $4,400 to help defray her medical expenses and help her young daughters.

Longtime friends Lisa Miramontez and Mary King organized the event.

Contacted Monday, Miramontez said she couldn't yet bring herself to discuss her friend's death.

Two trust funds also had been created in Wiegel's name, one at U.S. Bank and one at Columbia River Bank. Macy & Son Funeral Directors is handling arrangements.
    [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Friends, co-workers stage vigil for burn victim Krista Wiegel
    Local News | 11 hours 24 min ago | Comments 0

By NewsRegister.com

Friends and co-workers of Krista Wiegel gathered Wednesday in Discovery Meadows Park for a candlelight vigil in her memory.

Wiegel died about 2 a.m. Monday in the Oregon Burn Center at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland, losing a valiant battle to survive severe burn injuries allegedly inflicted by her boyfriend in a July 2 arson attack.

Wiegel suffered burns on 80 percent of her body when 38-year-old Larry Warren Barnard allegedly used gasoline to torch their mobile home with her locked inside. Barnard now faces charges of murder and aggravated murder in addition to arson and assault.

Memorie McCarthy and Kim Rice, co-workers of Wiegel's at Meggitt Polymer Solutions, organized the vigil. About 20 others joined them, candles in hand, to remember their friend.

A cool wind blew through the park, making it difficult for them to keep their candles lit. They huddled together as McCarthy told them they were here "to remember friend and co-worker Krista."

McCarthy read a poem titled, "Death is Nothing at All," by Henry Scott Holland. She said it had been recommended to her by another co-worker, Lois Rice.

As she spoke, participants listened in silence, heads bowed.

McCarthy expressed hope Wiegel was now in a beautiful place, surrounded by flowers and green grass, riding her horse up to a stream for a cooling drink.

McCarthy and Rice had planned to stage a candlelight walk to the fire scene, but the cool, damp and windy weather persuaded them it would be better to drive.

As they pulled up, they were greeted by a large white teddy bear with a note of condolence attached.

They lit their candles again and recited the Lord's Prayer. They walked up to place their candles beside one another on the front steps.

As a gesture of peace and love, McCarthy said, they were uniting their small lights together into one big light.

Co-worker Myrna Taylor said Wiegel and Margo McGivney had their break time the same time she had her lunch period.

She said she got to know them well. "I had them all to myself," she said.

As the women hugged one another, a cat's desperate meow could be heard coming from inside the fire-ravaged home. "Oh my God! There's a cat in there," McCarthy said.

Taylor offered to call someone who could come by with a key and let the cat out.

"I hope someone comes to let that cat out," McCarthy said as Taylor made the call. "We don't want him to die, too."

Friends and co-workers had first rallied to support Wiegel during her burn unit ordeal. She was kept heavily sedated while undergoing a seemingly endless series of skin-grafting procedures, making it extremely trying for everyone.

They also set about raising funds to help her with mounting medical expenses and her daughters, 14-year-old Rebekah and 10-year-old Katelynn, with their living expenses.

Lisa Miramontez, a longtime friend and former co-worker at the McMinnville Albertsons, set up collections jars at checkout counters and the customer service desk at the store. She also joined friend Mary King in helping organize a fundraiser in the Albertsons parking lot, featuring a barbecue, bake sale, can drive, car wash and silent auction.

The Wild Rose softball team, on which the girls played, held a car wash fundraiser as well.

In addition to her two daughters, Wiegel leaves an adult son in Montana and a 12-year-old nephew for whom she held legal guardianship. Her friends said she had a huge heart for others.