Thread: Cyclist clings to hood in car attack (JFDL)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cyclist clings to hood in car attack

05:53 PM PDT on Monday, July 14, 2008

By TERESA BLACKMAN, kgw.com Staff

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A road rage incident between a bicyclist and a driver ended with the cyclist on the hood of the car and a witness got it on video, according to investigators.

The video, taken on a cell phone, was seized as evidence in the criminal case and Sgt. Brian Schmautz with the Portland Police Bureau confirmed that it was authentic.

“With the victim hanging on to the suspect's windshield wipers, the suspect drove northbound on 58th at a high rate of speed. When the suspect reached Southeast 60th Avenue, he slowed down enough for the victim to get off the car,” Schmautz explained.

It all started a little while earlier near the intersection of SE 58th Avenue and SE Washington Street in Portland, when cyclist Jason Rehnberg, 37, yelled profanities at driver James Millican, 21, and told him to slow down.

Schmautz said at that point, Millican stopped his car and began to chase the victim. Initially, Rehnberg got away, but then a short time later, Millican spotted the cyclist behind him.

“The victim stated that the suspect then backed up in an attempt to hit him with the car. The victim jumped off the bike just before the suspect hit the bike, damaging it,” Schmautz said.

Two witnesses told investigators that they stood in front of Millican’s car, along with Rehnberg, and tried to get his license number.

“As they did so, the suspect drove his car toward the three people. The two witnesses were able to get out of the way, but Rehnberg ended up on the hood of the suspect's car.”

That’s when Schmautz said Millican sped off with Rehnberg on his hood, clutching his windshield wipers to keep from sliding off.

“When the suspect reached Southeast 60th Avenue, he slowed down enough for the victim to get off the car,” Schmautz said.

One witness got video of the cyclist on the hood of the car and gave it to investigators.

Millican was eventually arrested on several charges including attempted assault, DUII, criminal mischief and reckless driving.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This world is going nutso!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you can say that again...I can't believe how bad it has gotten over the last little while especially here where i am

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The world lost it's common sense a long time ago... I can't help but think, I would sure hate to be the bicyclist.... [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Man I think the world has just gone straight up bug nuts!!! Check this shit out...LMAO.

Two bicycle advocates get into brawl in latest car vs bike dispute

12:25 PM PDT on Friday, July 18, 2008

By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff

The latest rage-fueled incident involving a bike and a car ended in a brawl between two bicycle advocates, police said Friday.

It began on North Mississippi Avenue Tuesday evening when Patrick Schrepping, a bicyclist who does not own a car, was being driven in a friend’s SUV.

Bicyclist Adam Leckie allegedly cut off the SUV, so Schrepping yelled at Leckie about what he’d just done and the fact that he wasn’t wearing a helmet.

Leckie yelled back at Schrepping and followed the car to Lorenzo’s Restaurant, where he used a key to scratch a line across the driver’s side of the SUV while Schrepping and his friend ate inside, police said.

"I lost my temper," Leckie told KGW. He admitted vandalizing the vehicle.

Schrepping, who witnessed the vandalism, went outside to confront Leckie and the two men started fighting, according to police.

Officers cited Leckie for criminal mischief and arrested Schrepping on suspicion of assault.

Schrepping told KGW that he and Leckie later apologized to one another and dropped the charges.

Two previous car vs. bicycle incidents escalated into physical confrontations in Portland in just the last week and a half.

KGW reporter Mike Benner also contributed to this article.