Inspired by everyone's HB get togethers, I am thinking about hosting the first annual AG Convention in Chicago--actually a suburb. I know I would have to change to official name to avoid lawsuits. I really would like ideas and input before I take the first baby steps. I am thinking it would be a two day event. The first day I would rent a spot all day to hold the actual convention. We could have buy/sell/trade booths and people can volunteer to host little classes i.e. doll clothes making, restoring (eye replacements would be a big hit). The cost of the ticket would help cover the rental space and two meals (lunch and dinner--catered, but cost could go down if everyone was willing to do sandwiches or something cheap). This would not be a money making event for me. Ticket cost would strictly cover expenses. The second day would, of coarse, be a trip to AG Place Chicago. Everyone would be on their own for that expense. Except for transportation needed from convention site to AGPC--that would not be a problem. A good friend of mine is a professional wedding coordinator/party planner. She threw some numbers together and ballparked 20 people at about $40 each would cover the cost for the first day. The actual price would go down if more people attended or if someone came up with cost cutting ideas. I just planned worst case: no one had a clubhouse or space we could use ($200 is site rental for the entire day. I will shop around) and no one brought food ($15/meal includes paper products and refreshments for the day). I could coordinate hotels and such if people were coming in from out of town. I think a decent but inexpensive hotel would be about $40-$60 a night. This would be a group effort, though. I would really need participation for the booths/classes. I would need input for meals/beverages. I wouldn't have a problem with sharing info about the costs of things so everyone knows where their money is going and maybe they have some cost cutting ideas. It would take at least 6 months to plan. I guess my real question is: Would anyone even be willing to participate? What other things should we do at our "convention"? Let me know what you all think.
