Woofers bottoming because of a warp in the record or a poorly setup TT? It sure sounds like a problem with the turntable rather than the speakers.
Printable View
Woofers bottoming because of a warp in the record or a poorly setup TT? It sure sounds like a problem with the turntable rather than the speakers.
If your preamp has a low or subsonic filter that should remedy the problem for the most part.
Allowing the woofers to continue bottoming will render broken woofers.
Just my .02.............
Try another set of speakers to see if it happens with them.
It does sound like a problem in either the TT or the phono section of your source amp.
Gary
HI GARY BEFORE I STARTED USING THE ALTEC MODEL 15 MY OTHER SPEAKER WAS THE VANDERSTEEN MODEL 5 NO PROBLEM LOOK LIKE A PATTERN IS SET UP ON THE ALTEC MODEL 15 WHEN I FIRST START PLAYING LP'S AT THE BEGINNING POPPING SOUND AFTER SECOND RECORD PLAY THE POPPING SOUND GOES AWAY THE REST OF THE DAY OR NIGHT MAN I AM LOST I LIKE THE ALTEC SPEAKER A BREATH OF FRESH AIR http://www.hostboard.com/forums/
HELLO I GOT ALTEC MODEL 15 SPEAKER WHEN I PLAY MY TURNTABLE I GET A POPPING SOUND FROM THE MODEL 15 WOOFER'S IT WILL NOT HAPPEN WHEN I PLAY MY CD PLAYER JUST MY TURNTABLE WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM THANK YOU JOHN. http://www.hostboard.com/forums/
Sounds like it might be an issue with static. You can find plenty of info on how to deal with that here http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search...rchtext=static
That is a wierd one and I am no electronics wizard. The fact it happens only on phono leads me to think it is not in the speakers themselves.
Ground on the TT? Problem in the phono section?
Static discharging? Capacitors in the XOs discharging? Dunno!
My 15s have no such problems but they are detailed enough to reveal deficiencies in the rest of your system. What you can't hear with some other speakers may present itself with the Altecs.
The XOs have two caps each and would cost about $15 to replace and this is easy with a soldering iron.
Think if you have another amp or receiver I would hook them up to it and see if the same happens. You have to eliminate problem sources to find some of these glitches when your not technically skilled in electronics.
Start with the most obvious and dumbest things first, connections, polarity, wires, TT connections & Ground, source LP.
Have you checked your Amp/receiver for DC bias and offset? Could be you are sending DC to the speakers and this is not good.
There is no reason why this should be happening so it is a problem and can do damage.
Gary
HI GARY HEAR MY SETUP MY TURNTABLE IS A GOLDMUND STUDIO 5, PHONO PRE AMP AUDIO RESEARCH PHONO-7,PREAMP AUDIO RESEARCH REV-3, ALL OF MY EQUIPMENT IS GROUNDED, THE ONLY GRD STRAP THAT I GOT ON MY TURNTABLE IS A GRD ON THE CONTROL UNIT THAT CUES UP AN DOWN THE ARM, MY TURNTABLE IS A LINEAR TRACKING UNIT,NO GROUND ON THE TURNTABLE ITS SELF, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP JOHN.
Hi John, I don't know your TT or other gear associated with the phono section. I have easily had over 20 TTs in my life and every one had and required a ground directly from the table to the amp or pre amp it was plugged in to.
WITH NO GROUND---BAD SOUND!!!
I have never seen a Turn Table that didn't have a seperate ground wire!
Gary
John,
Bad ground. I too have never seen a TT without a grounding post. Your dragging a diamond through vinyl. This naturally generates static.
As to why there no "popping" with the Vandersteens? Beats me.
Also. I don't mean any disrespect, but please turn off your caps lock and use punctuation. http://www.hostboard.com/forums/
Good Luck solving your thumping problem.
Dave