-
Before I spend too much time and effort and money, I'd like to have feedback from this board.
Please, do let me know what you think...
about this latest ebay project...
Got these speaker cabinets for a center channel:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Got this as a driver:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5806592261
All I know is, that Ubangi's are well thought of, and the only horizontal bass bin ( horizontal is good because it remains under the movie screen ) and that it is low profile enough for my situation ...and that Bill of GPA designed the 9894.
Thanks again for your comments!
-
Greets!
Pretty impressive CC! Assuming you'll only have one of these, one big problem will be getting a good tonal balance when all three screen channels are in play, with the other being that this is a long throw HF horn so will beam horribly at a typical listening distance.
GM
-
Thanks, GM:
You're right again as usual!
I won all three ubangi horn cabinets in the auction, however they are too wide for the room all taken together.
I have an extra set of 828 cabs that I could stack on the existing right-front and left-front (screen) 828 (299,416), and port the 2 boxes together.
Wouil that help?
-
Excuse me, I deleted the rest of where I was going with the post.
What I'd intended to say was:
Tone is most likely influenced by porting, and vent size. I currently run 828 cabs which are ported at the bottom. Stacking two 828 cabs; LF horn to LF horn, and venting them together would be the same porting configuration as the Ubangi's. 210's would be a close match to the Ubangi....but I don't have any of those!!!!
Thanks again
-
Greets!
You're welcome! The Fb chosen certainly affects tone, so all cabs should be tuned for closest match in-room, which often means that each speaker be tuned to a different frequency. Also, I don't know what the single driver Ubangi's FR is, but I would think that laying horizontally on the floor it would be considerably different than vertically ganged together A7s. It may sound fine for all I know, just technically it doesn't 'gell'.
GM
-
OK, GM: (and others who may have knowlege)
This is another large format driver to be used in the proposed horizontal ubangi center channel cabinet. It is not supposed to be as "long throw" as the first driver:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7350101936
I've got three of these now for the center channel (and R and L.) ....so that they (that much, anyway) will match, exactly.
Do you have an idea for a VERTICAL cabinet design (size is no object) that will match in "tonal qualities" for primary use in a home movie theater.
Once again, I use "flea powered" bi-amped, SET and output transformerless, amplifiers from transcendent sound http://www.transcendentsound.com/
The room is large, and efficency is the prime consideration....in fact, I'm considering sending these drivers to GPA and having them converted to 16 OHM.
Thanks
-
Greets!
You sure about that? I'm not familiar with this design and couldn't find any data on it, but the narrower the pattern for a given Fc, the longer the 'throw', so its probably longer than the 9894s..........
Anyway, again, I'm not familiar with the single driver Ubangi's performance, plus you haven't given any details about the room and layout, the driver you plan to install in the Ubangi, or the space limitations for the vertical midbass bins. You say size is no object, but if this were true you could use all three Ubangis.
A pity the Ubangi isn't an easy woodworking build or we could just reconfigure it to a more square design to fit the space. Indeed, its funky filter chamber combined with non-parallel walls is going to make it tough to exactly replicate its 'tone' in a simpler design.
GM
-
Thanks, GM.
Alright then, I'll line them up along the front wall. There will not be as great a seperation between L + C and C + R because of the horizontal room taken up by the width of the cabs....but by 'golly...they're go'na have the same tonal quality!!
Anybody else have any ideas?
Thanks again