-
I pictured Nellie as a pretty assertive girl from the Samantha stories. I got the idea she had to tone this down when in the presence of those who held a higher social status than she did. On her own, I saw her as a very capable, assertive girl who could take care of herself and her sisters if she had to.
I haven't read Elizabeth's story yet, so can't give an opinion on that.
-
Melissa, your cat is darling with the sweater on.
I thought Elizabeth's book was more about her sister then Elizabeth. I have not read Nellie's book yet.
[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]
-
i think nellie was pretty assertive on her own because its how she grew up.. after all, she had to fight her way thru busy streets, make sure people didn't cheat her out of money, take care of her sisters, and do all sorts of things. it was just her life. but then when she was around people who she knew had power over her (eddie's family because they were her employers, mrs frouchy because she had control over her sisters, and sam's fmaily just because they were rich but treated her kindly)
in other words i think nellie is assertive "in her own world" but when she steps into samantha's world, she is less sure and has to be more reserved. remember in that time period you had to "know your place".
elizabeth definitley changed!! i do think they tried to make her too much like felicity.
altho it could just be that elizabeth was finally coming out of her shell and standing up for herself because of felicity's influence,..altho i do think they changed her and it was kinda unnatural..
i hope they don't change emily, but remember her personality DOES change in the birthday book. she stops being so shy and starts being more friendly and less quiet, and she does get more assertive- remmeber when she argued with molly about the words to a song? i think emily naturlaly becomes assertive and less shy anyway, so if they make her that way, it will be all right because its true to character. however i hope she's reasonably shy in the beginning otherwise it won't be natural looking.
-
I?ve read Nellie?s book and am now reading Elizabeth?s. It seemed (to me, at least) that Nellie and Elizabeth?s personalities are not consistent.
I initially perceived both Elizabeth and Nellie to be somewhat shy, or at least type B personalities, if not shy. However, in their own books they both come across as outgoing--sometimes amazingly so (I was bowled over by how assertive Nellie was at one point). It has been disappointing to me a bit, since the girls don?t seem consistent to their characters in the other books, but seem to become their friends. To me it seems Nellie becomes Samantha-like in her book, and Elizabeth becomes Felicity-like in her book.
If this happens with Emily (the very, very, very (etc.) shy and quiet English friend of Molly), I will definitely notice a trend! [img]wink.gif[/img] I'd love to read about quiet Emily and actually have quiet Emily still be quiet Emily. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Did anyone else think their personalities changed?