-
Ok, we have the bible i.e. service manual, we've been on out "journey" with Big Bertha. Now I'm cooking and trying to fine tune the specs.
Tonight we decide to recalibrate the thermostat and can not figure out for anything how to get the temp. dial off!!
Yes, we looked back at the pics and we had if off before!!! Just can not remember how.
Do we just pull it off OR is there a screw?? The temp. dial is a part I don't want to risk breaking and one I don't want to search for!! Been there, done that!!
We just can not remember somethings!! [img]frown.gif[/img]
Berlyn
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 11, 2006 08:37 PM: Message edited by: berlyn ]</font>
-
the knob just pulls off, but be careful you hold on tight when it breaks free!
This is the voice of experience here, when I pulled mine off I didn't have a good grip on it and it shot across the garage, fracturing the porcelain!
http://static.flickr.com/25/66957854_164bdcd3d2.jpg?v=0
I slipped a rag behind the knob and used it to gain leverage on the knob. Then a slow steady pull but be sure you are ready because when that knob finally breaks free of 50 years of gunk, you want to be in control of its trajectory!
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 11, 2006 08:52 PM: Message edited by: lowracer ]</font>
-
Mark,
Thanks, We are calibrating as I type.
Hubby said your knob is a lot prettier than our plain jane white with black numbering!!
Before we began, he asked me how easy are the temp knobs to get. That's why we were hesitant and just could not remember how we did it the first time!!
[img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] We have wised up & wrote a note in the service manual for future reference.
Thanks,
Berlyn
-
The knobs are a pressure fit...and the beauty of those knows, just like the name plate is because they are Cloisnee. Cloisnee is very fine enamel work, Chinese in origin, durable yet fragile. The Chambers Company certainly went to a lot of expense to get their stoves just right....Does anyone know WHO designed the Chambers Ranges ?
-
Hubby asked if the temp knobs are interchangable with the models. Does anyone know??
He sure likes Marks knob!!
-
You know, there is a bit of a strange difference between the nameplates of different colored stoves.
My yellow stove has the pretty ruby red, striated coloring around the lettering, just like the sunburst pattern on its gold-colored dials. (same as Lowracer's ruby red dial, just amber-colored)
My green stove, however, has a fairly plain nameplate to go with its ruby-red dials. It simply has matching opaque pastel green enamel surrounding the chrome letters. It's odd that the dials are ruby, but the nameplate is pastel green. I like the more intricate detailing of the red plate better.
I considered switching the beautiful nameplate from the yellow stove onto the greenie so it would match the dials, but then again, I'm thinking I'll restore the yellow one eventually. Plus, the original color combinations are amusing.
A blue stove that was recently on ebay looked to have a red nameplate and silver dials. Maybe they thought it was more fun if the plates and dials weren't the same color?
-Jenn
-
The earlier "C"'s, as I understand it, had the pretty red knobs and logo. Later, they switched to the white painted knobs and an aluminum script logo.
If they're mixed, it's probably because the original knobs have been switched.