I used a bandana once for an a-line dress, so the bare minimum is not much at all. Including seams and edging, maybe an 18 inch wide square piece
Printable View
I used a bandana once for an a-line dress, so the bare minimum is not much at all. Including seams and edging, maybe an 18 inch wide square piece
Even if you are not going to use a pattern, you could go to a fabric store, find a pattern that's something like what you are planning on making, and check the back. It should say how much fabric you need.
Have fun sewing, and be sure to post pictures when you are done! [img]graemlins/camera.gif[/img]
I'm always on the lookout for fabric that I like and think I might use at some time for a doll dress. (People who sew are notorious for their fabric stashes.) If I see something I like, I usually buy a yard, but you could probably get by with 1/2 a yard.
Patricia
For a simple sleeveless dress, a quilting fat quarter (18x22 inches) would be just right, and the prints are usually small, as well - perfect dolly size!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was exactly what I was trying to think of and couldn't remember [img]smile.gif[/img] A fat quarter.Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanette M.:
For a simple sleeveless dress, a quilting fat quarter (18x22 inches) would be just right
I alway use half a yard for anything, even the smallest thing. It leaves room for error and enough to go back and recut if you make a great mistake. I did make Addy a pinafore with a bandana, but otherwise I try to get more than enough.
I agree with the 1/2 yard amount although here we call it a half metre and I think it is slightly more. Of course it does depend on the width of your fabric and what kind of print, but usually this is enough.
Juliette
Great, thanks so much!
Does anyone know roughly how much fabric I would need if I wanted to try to make a simple sleevless dress for one of my dolls without using a pattern? I'm thinking about making a spring-y looking sleevless dress. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
One of the things I like to do is recycle my daughter's clothing for AG clothes. Special outfits or things that had special detail like embroidery, smocking, nice trim, etc. There's generally enough fabric in even an infant dress to make an outfit for your doll, and my little girl has lots of them to remember those favorite outfits by!