-
Memories
I thought it would be cool to hear some of your guys memories with Coach Turner.... unfortunately i didn't get the chance to play football or be around Coach Turner much when i was in high school , but maybe you guys have some great memories about him and would like to share some..
Thanks.
-
Re: Memories
I forgot to log in, but i was the one that posted that..
-
Re: Memories
One memory that stands out about Coach Turner was when I had him for PE early in high school. It was a sunny day and he had taken the class out to the bleachers while he and a few others were lining off the field. Well, me and a friend were bored out of our minds and went down to the track and were throwing rocks up into the bleachers. We had our backs to the field and he must have snuck up on us because the first thing I heard was his booming voice and I nearly jumped out of my shoes! He hollered up to one girl to go to his office and get his paddle. And next thing you know, his voice is back to that low, barely audible tone, saying "Now you boys know you aint 'spose to be doin that." Then he hands out 3 licks apiece to us. I held a little animosity from other teachers who I got paddlings from, but I always look back on that one as kind of a humorous situation....One moment he was mad as fire, next he's just as calm as a mountain lake.
-
Re: Memories
One of the most memorable things that comes to mind for me is in 91 when we beat Appy. 2 minutes into the game and we are down 13-0 because of a fumble on our first drive and an onsides kick by Appy. After their second score on the next kick-off the kicker decided to try the onsides kick again. We recovered and when the kicker came to the sidelines Tom grabbed him and said "I hope your happy, you just pissed off the best team in the league." Talked to Coach Sanders about this game after he came to Coeburn and he said it was one of the most memorable losses he had ever been a part of.
In case anyone was wondering the final was 38-13
-
Re: Memories
i was on a team that got beat 72-0 by tom turner. how's that for a memory. truly a sad time in dawg land. God bless his family.
-
Re: Memories
I'll remember his play calling, and not being afraid to run trick plays. To him, there were no "trick plays"..lol. They beat us one year with one and I think my mouth finally settled back where it was supposed to be around the following Monday. I think everybody's jaw dropped..lol
-
Re: Memories
Im guessing you're talking about the 93 game right?
I think everyone had the same problem after that game
-
Re: Memories
I have tons of memories of Coach Turner.
One that stands out-----------> in 2000 we had 2 linemen who didnt get along very well. During practice they'd always have words. One day, Coach Turner caught one of em throwing dirt in the others eyes......He'd had enough.
He had the whole team get in a circle and put the 2 linemen in the middle. He let them beat the hell outta each other for a good 10 min, until one of em got the upperhand, and then stepped in. We didnt have another problem with them the rest of the year. I dont think they ever liked one another, but after that, they sure respected one another.
I remember him screaming "Do you wanna beat the hell outta one another, or get ready to beat someones [censored] on Friday Night? "
I know it sounds a little hardcore, but Thats how Coach Turner coached, and Im very proud to have had the chance to play for him. He was tough on us, but it was to prepare us for the upcoming games, as well as Life itself.
-
Re: Memories
I cant explain how much Coach Turner meant to the town of Appalachia, To the school, and to all the kids he coached.
My g/f was here when I got the news, and said that she thought something had happened to one of my parents, or brothers. What she didnt understand, is that it pretty much did. Anyone who's ever played for coach turner feels that way about him...He was like a 2nd father, or even the only father figure for some. He was tough on us, and pushed us to the limit...But we were always in great shape, always prepared for the upcoming season, upcoming opponent, and prepared for Life after highschool. We all knew that if we worked as hard as we did for him, that there was nothing we couldnt do. We could accomplish anything.
I was once told by 2 former Bulldogs, who joined the navy, and army, that their bootcamps where a walk in the park compared to Coach Turners 2-a-days. He prepared all of us, for whatever we decided to do, after highschool. He installed an unmatched work ethic in us, he made sure we stayed out of trouble, and if we needed something, he'd make sure we had it.
I think I speak for anyone who has ever put the pads on for coach Turner, be it 1 year, or for 4 years.
Coach Turner was our Coach. He was the best of motivators, The best of Coaches, and the best of friends. Though to the majority of us, he wasnt family....We think of him as family. This phrase is perfect for this situation.
"Once a Dawg, A dawg 4 life"
My prayers our with the Turner family.
-
Re: Memories
I respected and greatly admired Coach Turner. Even though I was from another school, he still opted to give me a great deal of advice from making my transfer from high school to college ball. Coach Turner will greatly be missed by all and I know for a fact that I will always have him on my mind and in my heart.
My best memory of Coach Turner was when I was a sophomore. I had just dropped a pass and he approached me on the sidelines. While during the game, he tells me to keep my head up because great things will come from me if I just keep working hard. He became a high figure in my life after he told me that. So much respect for this man.