for that matter...
what's the esitmated depth on the "Gate City lake" that's on the end of town there....
share some stories aobut it as well if you have any
Printable View
for that matter...
what's the esitmated depth on the "Gate City lake" that's on the end of town there....
share some stories aobut it as well if you have any
I was always under the assumption that that was just their resevoir. I don't think it can be fished or anything. I may be completely wrong though.
The Quarry is uber deep. Water was struck when trying to dig it out, and the water is just clean as can be. There are fish in there, and some huge ones from reports. You used to be able to fish in it until around the mid 80s I believe. I have heard that they sent divers in one time, and found the old escavating equipment, stolen cars, and some fish scared them out due to their size. How true that is I don't know.
I do know my Pa told me of seeing a Kerns bread man throw some bread in onetime and the water turning black from fish circling it. I sure would like to cast a line in there. No doubt about it.
Just toss a line over the fence from the road Stripes. They can't get you for trespassing that way. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
i knew that it was a rock quarry that hit water, and went under... i heard one of my ancestors tell me that they sent the divers in like someone else said, could you imagine coming up on a fish as big as you in a little lake! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] id like to cast a line over that fence though too [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
The VDGIF needs to buy it and open it for fishing.
It would be nice. Or just give me and some friends a special permit! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
ummmmmm........ i was almost 100% certain the reason it hasnt been opened is because the mercury levels are high enough to kill?
i heard something about that also... dunnno though
Not that I am aware of in that water. I don't know where there would have been any mercury pollution enter into water.
I think there was a bigger concern over people possibly drowning, and other tom foolery with such easy access to it due to its location.