UT finally whipped a team they should whip
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Erik Ainge threw four touchdown passes and No. 15 Tennessee had an easy time beating cross-state rival Memphis 41-7 on Saturday.
Ainge, pulled early in the fourth quarter, completed 23 of 27 passes for 324 yards, including two TD tosses to Jayson Swain and an 84-yarder to Robert Meachem. His other scoring pass was a 7-yarder to Bret Smith.
Tennessee (4-1) returns to Southeastern Conference play next week at No. 10 Georgia.
The Tigers (1-3) had last week off to prepare for the Volunteers, but struggled all day. The Tigers' highlight was punter Michael Gibson pinning Tennessee inside its own 5 several times.
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
Not only whipped, I would use beat the [censored] out of them. 500+ total yards, good all around performance by the Vols today. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
They did the same thing to Marshall last week.
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
How was this game? Was it close for a bit. ESPN2 said that a bit ago and I was kind of shocked considering Ainge's numbers
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
Not too long. UT scored a FG on the first drive. Scored a fairly quick TD on the second drive I begin. Memphis really didn't move the ball much at all. They did have a punt return called back that had went for a TD if I am not mistaken in the first half, but the game never was in doubt.
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
lol ESPN bias against UT then [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I thought if he was pulled early in the 4th with those numbers, couldn't figure out how it was close to long
Espn opinion -"This game was close for awhile"
Fact -Then kickoff happened lol
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
[ QUOTE ]
Not too long. UT scored a FG on the first drive. Scored a fairly quick TD on the second drive I begin. Memphis really didn't move the ball much at all. They did have a punt return called back that had went for a TD if I am not mistaken in the first half, but the game never was in doubt.
[/ QUOTE ]
It was an INT return. Ainge didn't see the LB, he picked it and took it to the house. But a Memphis DE lined up offside. He did redeem himself a little later by forcing a Coker fumble.
The game itself was never close. Memphis had around 60 yards of offense through 3 quarters.
Heck, after each team had the ball twice, UT had run 30 plays (for 10 points) and Memphis had run 6 (8 counting punts). UT's first drive went 13, the next went 17.
Best game UT has played this season and probably the best they have played since the 05 Cotton Bowl. The running game was there. I'll reserve judgement until after the Georgia game, but it looked like moving McNeill in at center really helped the line a lot.
And once again I ask, where the hell was Coker during the Air Force and Florida games??????
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
Couldn't help but laugh when the PA guy at the Wise-St. Paul p-nut game yesterday said when announcing college football scores said "UT over Conference USA celler-dwellar Memphis". Lots of folks got riled over that. He must have been another Hokie UT hater.
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
As opposed to former C-USA power Cincinnati?
Or perhaps I'm thinking of the Atlantic-10 powerhouse Northeastern. Or the perennial MAC juggernaut Kent St.
Re: UT finally whipped a team they should whip
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't help but laugh when the PA guy at the Wise-St. Paul p-nut game yesterday said when announcing college football scores .
[/ QUOTE ]
I HATE when they do that. If I'm recording the game and want to watch it when I get home it is just ruined. Not to say it wasn't expected but if it was the Alabama - UT game I wouldn't want it ruined. I would want to go home and watch it. That happened to me last year out UVA-Wise during a Burton Playoff game. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]