Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
I do agree about what Yankkesfan4life is saying about athletes.. I have heard of at least 1 student in the LPD that has missed school for now 3 weeks and he is still is playing football!! This is awful. In a day and age that more and more people cant read.. And goodness these schools will graduate anybody.. There are people I work with that are living proof that this NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND CRAP DOES NOT WORK!! Sports are suppose to be fun and fair I don't care how awesome a player is if he is not going to school he should not play!! At the collegiate level if you don't show up to class it's no big deal but if you are failing you will get yanked off of a team!! As far as the players at this level good Lord if you are not in class for 3 weeks I find it hard to believe you are passing!! Well maybe not that hard to believe this is South West Virginia!! And if you are it's still not fair to the others for you to sit at home and basically chose whether or not to go to school!! I blame the coaches, parents and the Schools for letting this behavior continue!! When I played if you didn't go to school you didn't go to practice if you didn't go to practice you didn't play. Point and case, playing sports should not come before Academics.. This world is already full of uneducated people as it is let's make the athletes be responsible again!!
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VolsRock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well maybe not that hard to believe this is South West Virginia!! </div></div>
Move. I love this area. I can understand a habitually truant kid shouldn't be able to play. But no need to know the whole area.
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
Missed school for 3 weeks and is still playing?
Shouldn't that person (or his parents) be in trouble with "the law" or something by now?
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
It's not that I am nocking the area I love it here too.. I am just wondering how big this issue truly is, and if it is just here in SWVA
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
You would think so! I have heard it from players and other students that my kid knows.
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
Wow, well it would seem to me that perhaps the school should be doing more then to find out why this child is not in school. I know when my 6 year old is not in school they call me even if I have called in for him. Don't all schools now have people staffed for just such a reason?
It's a matter of choice and sadly now some don't care. If parents don't instill a strong work ethic in their children, it only creates a vicious cycle that is never ending.with a lot of things.
I do believe that this area has a lot of potential, and there are some pretty gifted kids here, however we all need to start taking some responsibility for what goes on around us.
It truly takes a village to raise a child. (yea yea I know silly isn't it? but true)
It is time to make athletes and children, responsible for their own actions. I can't tell you the times that my oldest has tried the old but so and so did it or someone would say "he never would have done that if someone else had not put him up to it" that never worked with me. Actually it made me mad, more so than what he had done. I firmly believe that God gave us a mind and free will, it's an insult to me to think that I nor a child I have helped nurture can not make a decision on his/her own.
No one else controls our behavior, not the superstar football players, baseball players, rappers, not the kid sitting across from them in homeroom.
Don't blame the world for what you do or don't do, it's your own fault, no one else is to blame.
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
Studies show that education has dramatically improved in the last 60-70 years regardless of what people think.
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
Yes it has and that is the saddest part. With all the advances in education, the Internet, there is no excuse why someone could graduate College and not be able to read beyond an 8Th grade level.
This is not a dig on this are on my part, I moved back here from Richmond so my kids could go to school here, I wanted them to get a good education.
I have noticed this mentality that it's the other guys fault. Michael Vick gets in trouble for dog fighting and whose fault is it? It's not his, it's the area he grew up in? Come on that is complete bull, it's something he chose to do on his own. Was it something he saw growing up? Probably, however he made the conscious decision to break the law. He knew it was wrong.
Perhaps this article might shed some light on things. I think this school has really made progress and is producing athletes that ARE role models, they are not looking for them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCutcheon_High_School
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VolsRock</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have heard of at least 1 student in the LPD that has missed school for now 3 weeks and he is still is playing football!! </div></div>
O.K...I'll bite. Which school is "suppose" to be letting this happen???
Re: Lets make the athletes be responsible again!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mega</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Studies show that education has dramatically improved in the last 60-70 years regardless of what people think. </div></div>
What do you expect when you let educators conduct research! lol