I?m making a documentary and I would like to use News Media in my film. Is this legal? Is there somewhere where you can get the rights/permission to use footage from the media? If its legal where can I find news media footage?
Printable View
I?m making a documentary and I would like to use News Media in my film. Is this legal? Is there somewhere where you can get the rights/permission to use footage from the media? If its legal where can I find news media footage?
you will need written permission from the copyright owners. this would be whatever media folks you are refering too. if it is old broadcast, you may check some of the stock footage companies. i know abc has one company they deal with. do an internet search for "stock footage" and you are sure to find these folks. otherwise, find out who owns the video information and contact them. if it's local television, you may not have too many problems. but national broadcast might be expensive.
Thanks for your help. Im just a highschool kid making a film for a club at school that I started. We have no budget really. Im going to call my local nbc channel tomorrow or tonight and tell them my situation and ask how much it will cost.
if you don't plan on selling or making copies of your project, you may need not worry about fees. there are limited use laws out there for just this reason. but, it might be worth going through the process just to learn how it's done.