I will be using SS amps in tri-amp arrangement. In the three bands, -500Hz, 500-5000Hz and 5000 plus with 416-8B and 808/511B. Should I put the smoothest amp on the 416 or the 808 ?
Printable View
I will be using SS amps in tri-amp arrangement. In the three bands, -500Hz, 500-5000Hz and 5000 plus with 416-8B and 808/511B. Should I put the smoothest amp on the 416 or the 808 ?
"Smooth" is pretty generic but if I understand you right, I'd put it on the 808. I use two or three SS amps on 416B and 811's w/802's and am using the preamp section of one of those amps, an integrated, with pretty good results. The integrated, a Kenwood 500, has a FET preamp that delivers a fairly warm signal transfer. There is nothing harsh or cold about the reproduction. For the 416's I am using a JBL6290, power and damping to spare with that. I have used another amp, also SS, to run a pair of Heil AMT's, crossing them over at 9000 hz.
Again, my opinion is that the compression drivers would benefit the most from the smoothest amp you have. The woofers are a lot more forgiving below 500 hz.
What type of preamp and crossover are you using?
Luxman R 1050 receiver
Sony TA 4650 Vfet integrated
Sony 1120 integrated
also, NAD 3020e.
Crossover Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover
I'm not chummy with any of those amps mate, but I'd use the one you'd least like dropped on your toe for the 416s. Given that an amp's weight is largely in the PS, the heaviest PS will likely give the cleanest LF peaks. You don't need much for the upper end(s), but preferrably one(s) that won't f@rt DC.
The Luxman I purchased new when I was a young bloke. The others I picked up used in the last few years.
Some detail on these amps-
Luxman Luxman R-1050 & R-1040 on TVK
Sony Sony TA-4650 on TVK & Sony TA-1120A on TVK
The Vintage Knob is at THEVINTAGEKNOB : vintage audio museum
A bit more on the VFET amp www.eastmarinedrive.com/contents/non-static/vfet-content.htm
Well, looks like the 100W Sony has the most guts, but even then a little shy of my preference for the 416. I like to have 1.5-2 times the rated driver power available to avoid clipping. The older stuff tended to be more conservative (honest) in their ratings though.
I'd look into the "dying diode" issue mentioned on the V-FET Sony, but once confident, it would go in the 500-5000 slot, and flip a coin for the low-watt tweet.
Didn't read all the XO page, is it low enough gain to use in front of integrated amps? What will you do for master volume?
G'day, Bfish,
The crossover has unity gain and will feed the power amp In or Aux In sockets. The crossver has on-board trim-pots in the output buffer amps which I will replace with panel mounted pots if this doesn't affect performance.
The diodes will be attended to and the precious VFETS will be removed from their sockets, cleaned and re-inserted with new paste and washers. The amp bias and d.c. offset will also be checked.
Because of the age of these amps I should replace the power supply caps, at least. Gosh, it never ends.
Cheers
Cool.
Cool.
Yah, you know the drill. At least SS gear 'lytics are cheaper and easier to find than HV tube jobs. Less therapy required if you touch one after forgetting to discharge it too. :eek:
Forgot to say that I have 4 NOS EL34s languishing in a parts drawer, sigh.