Re: Just how good was he?
Jordan was great, but hard to judge against someone like Wilt. But they played different positions in different era's. I'm the biggest Jordan fan in the world, but it's just hard to pick a GOAT in any sport because there is a lot of things to take into consideration. Btw I think Jordans career average 30/31 ppg anyways. Lebron is a freak of nature and will go down as one of the GOAT's, he'll be better then Kobe..he's already close now.
Re: Just how good was he?
I can't disagree with you too much there B13 (thats hard for me to say :) ). One thing that gives Wilt the edge over Jordan for me, is that Jordan never had the impact as to where they actually changed the rules of the game to try and make it easier to play against him. The NBA had to do that to Wilt. He was a specimen though. If I am not mistaken Wilt won and NCAA track title in the hurdles while at Kansas.
Re: Just how good was he?
They did change the rules for Jordan. The Pistons smashed him up so much every year that they changed all of the rules in regards to flagrant fouls, etc. They were deemed "the Jordan Rules"
Re: Just how good was he?
IDK about Wilt. Some of his stats are just mind numbingly absurd. I think he averaged like fifty points one year and like thirty boards another. I think the game was alot different, and aside from Russell I don't think he really had alot of great competition as far as other big men. As for the 100 point game, I believe both teams scored over 150 points in that game. Makes you wonder how much defense was being played.
Jordan to me is the best ever. If you give me one player to start a franchise with out of any player ever, that is who I want. He's gonna get it done on both ends of the floor, and elevate the play of his teammates. And his average against those teams that I was talking about and the career average B13 was talking about are both still intact after that awful stint in DC he pulled. Simply amazing.
Lebron > Kobe one day. Right now, I'll take Kobe. Lebron just doesn't have that killer instinct that Kobe has. Kobe's team can be up by three or four points in the fourth and he's just gonna stick it to you and end the game. He's a bit more selfish, but he might be the best scorer I've ever seen. Like I said, one day Prince James will be better than Kobe but as for now give me Kobe.
Re: Just how good was he?
I think Lebron is the better all-around player(rebounding and such), but right now Kobe is still the better closer. I'll take Lebron the first 46 min, but Kobe the last 2.
Re: Just how good was he?
Lebron's a freak of nature. Kobe doesnt rebound like Lebron, and both pass the ball well. Lebron's a better drive due to his pure size, while Kobe is a better shooter and defender. It is a tough comparison.
Kotite, I guess you have me there to a degree, as I forgot about the flagrant foul change. With Wilt they changed the actual width of the lane .
Re: Just how good was he?
Jordan changed the game. every kid that could play kind of based their game on his.
Kind of like the way Eddie Van Halen changed the way guitar players played. The best in the game now I'd bet grew up wanting to play like Jordan.
Re: Just how good was he?
Magic and Bird changed the game!
The NBA finals were tape delayed until Magic and Bird came along! Without Magic and Bird, there is no Jordan.
Re: Just how good was he?
I don't think I have ever heard of any NBA player past or present denying Jordan as G.O.A.T.