New favorite computer speakers
A few months back I picked up a 612a cabinet for my 604's and since then built a second. Until I stop the leaky roof and flooding in the garage shop, these are making for a really nice pair of computer speakers. I'm driving them with a "Darling" 1626 SET amp, and with only 700mW these can make me smile. They don't go too low in frequency, but the bass that is there sounds great.
Dan
Re: New favorite computer speakers
I know the problem well! I haven't been able to use my shop for years now and even with some help of others, 'life' keeps getting in way of building a complete new roof and repair the damaged support walls. I'm surprised that listening so far off axis sounds acceptable with such beaming speakers, though for such a high efficiency near-field app they can be frequency shaped with EQ to be ~flat from as low as ~0.7x the cab's Fb which should provide plenty of bass 'weight'.
GM
Re: New favorite computer speakers
Hi GM,
Beaming is right! I guess I'm only really happy because even off axis I can hear the potential they have. Can you make a recommendation for an eq. I've never had much luck with them.
How are things down in Georgia. I went to school at GT and miss the south some times.
Dan
Re: New favorite computer speakers
Greets!
Just another day in Paradise here if you can ignore the bugs and oppressive humidity. At least the multi-year drought seems to be over, so maybe folks won't continue hoard the rainwater that has caused near rain forest levels of Mosquitoes, etc.. To go outdoors at dawn or dusk without covering up either with repellent and/or plenty of clothing is to risk being bled out.
'Ramblin' Wreck', eh! I was raised to 'bleed' Yellow Jacket venom, but alas my ~complete lack of higher math skills doomed me to an early discharge.
Anyway, dbx was the only semi-affordable brand I could tolerate (if you can call ~$2200 circa 1980 semi-affordable), though most folks outside the anti-SS 'anything' in the speaker system's signal path category were quite happy with their much less expensive Ranes and IIRC there's some folks here too. My unit's been DOA for some time now though and due to finances haven't bothered to get current on what's an acceptable replacement other than BSS being possibly the best inflation adjusted price choice.
GM
Re: New favorite computer speakers
Some days I think I'd take the bugs and humidity for some good bbq or biscuits and gravy. I'm surprised that you of all people struggled with math. I just wish I'd have paid more attention in my classes from Marshall Leach and Eugene Patronis at tech. Thanks for the tip on the EQ. I was thinking of adding a sub to the mix, but it's nice to have options for brining up the bottom end.
Dan
Re: New favorite computer speakers
For my A5 setup the Behringer DEQ2496 has added the extra bumps in BW that changed that home system from a nice sound to a Killer sonding HiFi system.
I'm not much on math either, i just know what sounds I like. The Behringer and it's auto EQ/RTA function simplified that process for me.
So SET's and PP DHT amps go hand in hand with digital technology ( DEQ2496) a good mix of Old and New for my Altec's.
Have Fun!
Willie
Re: New favorite computer speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Kercher
Some days I think I'd take the bugs and humidity for some good bbq or biscuits and gravy. I'm surprised that you of all people struggled with math. I just wish I'd have paid more attention in my classes from Marshall Leach and Eugene Patronis at tech. Thanks for the tip on the EQ. I was thinking of adding a sub to the mix, but it's nice to have options for brining up the bottom end.
Dan
You're welcome!
I hear ya! My main biker day's t-shirt mantra was AMERICAN BY BIRTH, SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD, so while I've visited many a fine location elsewhere in the Fifty states, the total 'mix' of N. Ga. has been just too diverse/entertaining to leave for any length of time, though the illegal alien invasion has upset the balance so much, especially WRT the crime rate in general and against the elderly in particular that I'll probably be forced out if I live much longer.
Anyway, IMO the best BBQ in the N. Ga. area available to the public is up in Gainesville a few miles from DSL's facility if anyone should ever be within range on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, the only days they're open. I don't believe you'll be disappointed if you like BBQ, with the caveat that it may be too spicy for some: smokehouse bbq & catering loc: Suwanee, GA - Google Maps
While my main interests have all been technology oriented, I took after my artistically oriented/math challenged mom's family while my brother is a math whiz/totally analytical/unimaginative type like my dad and his family.
Yeah, you 'blew' it, ML arrived several years after I left, but I had a chance meeting with him the 1st quarter he was there and it was one very enlightening afternoon when combined with what all I'd then recently been exposed to by a 'crusty' old EE that had apprenticed at Bell Labs/WE in the early '30s. ML helped me 'connect the dots' enough to begin serious TL, horn 'proof-of-concepts' experimentation since the math heavy info the EE had bestowed upon me was literally just Greek to me. Can't remember if I've met EP or not, though I've followed some of his work via Altec and patents.
GM
Re: New favorite computer speakers
Yeah, you 'blew' it, ML arrived several years after I left, but I had a chance meeting with him the 1st quarter he was there and it was one very enlightening afternoon when combined with what all I'd then recently been exposed to by a 'crusty' old EE that had apprenticed at Bell Labs/WE in the early '30s. ML helped me 'connect the dots' enough to begin serious TL, horn 'proof-of-concepts' experimentation since the math heavy info the EE had bestowed upon me was literally just Greek to me. Can't remember if I've met EP or not, though I've followed some of his work via Altec and patents.
GM
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, at the time I didn't know how important those guys were. But they were an inspiration for me. I took Dr. Patronis' electro acoustics course. There were a lot of fun demo's in the classroom like low frequency standing waves and such. Once I went into his lab where he was building up and testing some pro sound gear. He had a tri-amped system and he palyed each section for me by itself and then played all the amps together through some gigantic speakers. I felt surrounded by music. At the time it was the best sound system I had ever heard. I got the impression that he thought the speaker was the most important link in sound reproduction. When he was young he worked at a theater with old Altec tube gear, but he still preferred solid state. Marshall Leach too. I like tube amps, mainly because of their looks, but never write off solid state since I trust their ears a lot more than mine. I was just too young, ignorant, and intimidated to talk to either of them back then...
Dan
Re: New favorite computer speakers
Great looking job on the Cabs.
And....an efficient use of space too :)
My workshop in now in a storage facility.....in storage.