Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
in a few weeks teams will start officaly practiceing and we can really sink our teath into the season
My list of Pondering
1) How will the CMD shake out.......Lebanon should go into the season as the favorite but will the New coach at Va High get the bearcats turned around and become the major force in SWVA football and which direction will GC go with there coaching change?...................(My personal thoughts are that Va High will end up shacking up the CMD and winning the district title with Lebanon on there heels and GC finishing up a distant 3rd (I think Colbro has been a better coach than many in GC want to admit and loseing him will hurt)
2) Will Burton rebuild or reload?............Burton has one of the best (if not the best) Atholeat in SWVA in Miles however it does not look like he will be sourounded by the talent that Burton has enjoyed over the last 7 or 8 years...........(IMHO Burton will cut through most of there opponets like a hot knife through butter but will not win the district or Region)
3) Will Clintwood rebuild or reload?...............While they do not have anyone the calaber of Miles to put the team on his shoulders and carry it they DO seem to be in a better position to plug holes and keep rolling...............(IMHO Clintwood this year is alot like Burton last season in that even after the heavy losses of key 3 year starters off last years team they have the depth and tools to be better than many think)
4) Will this be Phils last year as PVs head man?.................Sure he can probably keep coaching as long as he wants to BUT PV should be the **** of the Walk in the LPD next season and that could play into his dission makeing.............(I think that barring Injurys PV should win the LPD and if that happens Robbins will ride off into the sunset)
5) How big of a game with Honaker vs Haysi be in week 10...............Given that I can't even remember the last time a BDD team NOT nicknames the Tigers won that district and that with Honaker being Div2 and Haysi (most likley) being Div1 the winner will shape the whole reagional playoff picture..................(I think Haysi with its beefed up schedule will be the better team this season and IMHO if they end up Div1 (which I am 99% sure will happen) they should be the preseason Favorits)
6) Will the CD be relavent this season?....................Sure a team will win the district and will get a Div1 playoff spot (except Coeburn) but is there the potental for any of these teams to get out of the 1st round of the Playoffs?......................(I am not sure..... TW was NOT a team that should have been in the post season last year and I am sure that clouds my vision a bit)
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
Burton will be OK on the "O" side of the ball and may even suprise you with a running back or 2. Our biggest thing will be QB and filling defensive holes. I think we will have to out score a lot more people this year rather than holding people to 7 points.
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
You may be right but I would be VERY suprised if they are able to replace Coleman and not miss a beat.......Loseing Talley IMHO is not huge in that while he was a heck of a 3rd option running the ball he was NOT a threat to pass the ball and I think Norton will need that extra demention this season.
Honistly I thought Norton would still be OK on D (maybe not as domanate as in years past but still more than solid)
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
I think Va High is a year or two away from ruling the CMD.
CMD
Lebanon
Gate City
VIrginia
Battle
Lee
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
Counts--I'd like to commend you on very well thought out commentary on the upcoming season. Not very accurately spelled mind you, but very well thought out. :D
I am of the mind that it still comes down to the trenches for all these teams. Burton was younger last year, and the OL was their downfall at times. If those kids grow up and step up along the lines, they'll be the team to beat in my mind. If Clintwood can plug some of these younger OL into place and attempt to fill some of the voids left by the likes of Russell Hull and a few others, then they should still be solid (the next questions after that are QB & RB). PV's line was so-so last year, a little smallish, but maybe another year of seasoning will help some of those kids.
Kelly's a team that overachieves and inserts itself into the conversation in the LPD...but other than that it's a 3-team race, and it will be VERY interesting to see exactly how good/bad teams like Burton/C-wood/PV either replace departing players and/or develop talent at key positions.
The LPD is always exciting, that's why I miss Coeburn being in the district so much. But this season especially will be full of storylines all over the 6 teams in the district, week-in/week-out.
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
I've heard some good things about Tre Meade this offseason from a friend of mine who's a JJK fan. He said he looks like a different kid from last year and I'm interested to see what he looks like in about a month.
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ironlung
I've heard some good things about Tre Meade this offseason from a friend of mine who's a JJK fan. He said he looks like a different kid from last year and I'm interested to see what he looks like in about a month.
I hope that's the case. I still think he'd be a better playmaker as a WR this year esp. if the older Dotson kid (Devon?) can be a competent QB.
The main question I have is with RB, not really QB--last year you could hand it to 8/28/44 and not really worry too much about injury/wearing down. Can Mancel Powers carry the whole load? If not, can someone step up and provide some help?
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
Quote:
Originally Posted by
CoeburnCane
I hope that's the case. I still think he'd be a better playmaker as a WR this year esp. if the older Dotson kid (Devon?) can be a competent QB.
The main question I have is with RB, not really QB--last year you could hand it to 8/28/44 and not really worry too much about injury/wearing down. Can Mancel Powers carry the whole load? If not, can someone step up and provide some help?
I saw Mancel on the 4th and he is starting to fillout but to answer your question IMHO he will NOT be able to carry to ball 20+ times a game........IF Tre is at QB Dottson will fill in nicly at FB and make for a potentaly tough option attack...If Dottson is at QB the passing game should be better (not knocking Tre but haveing him at WR would help the passing game on its on)
IMHO the key for Clintwood as much as anything will be to stay healthy becouse they will not have the depth that they enjoyed last season
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Wildcat_Formation
I think Va High is a year or two away from ruling the CMD.
CMD
Lebanon
Gate City
VIrginia
Battle
Lee
Lee last?
Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Football season
[QUOTE=Counts;1780918]You may be right but I would be VERY suprised if they are able to replace Coleman and not miss a beat [QUOTE]
there is no way that we lose Coleman and not miss a beat but I think that we have another back or 2 in the stable that will allow Miles to be the main guy while the D has to respect what the other guy can do.