Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
His previous strong support of the destruction of the chapter seven bankruptcy protection that common folks could use, plus his no vote on the keep Americans in their Homes bill raises serious questions in my mind about his relationship with someone (like Wellmont) who would have a major stake in each of those votes.
Note to those who didn't know. Boucher was a behinds the scenes force in changing the bankruptcy laws that protected the little guy (as I remember he even co-wrote one such bill / not the one that got passed but very similar) while keeping all the protections for the rich and the corporations in place.
Anyway, just the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard that he voted no on the health care bill.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Boucher's no vote came from the part of the bill that decreased medicaid payments to doctors. I'd say it partially came from the attitude of the average voters in SWVA as well. Most don't like to read or think, they like to hear and accept...and a yes vote would have hurt his re-election. I would bet that if the passing or failure of the bill depended on his vote, his vote wouldn't have been "no". Good political move for him IMO. Fact is, most family care doctors in this area have a much higher percentage of medicare and medicaid patients than doctors in most other areas of the country do because of the rampant poverty in SWVA. And lower payment from the government means less income for the doctors, which means more will say working in this area isn't worth their time. But, the thing is, during the Bush multi-trillion dollar giveaway of 01-08, government medicare and medicaid payments to doctors were INCREASED ROUGHLY 150%...so a 20% deduction of what their reimbursements are shouldn't hurt as much as they claim it will. Just another group trying to fleece the US citizen.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
I knew that was why he said he voted no. But when you look at his previous support for bills that made it far easier for medical providers to go after those in debt to them and to go as far as taking property from them, add that to his no vote on a bill to prevent exactly that from happening, and I think there just might be little hidden motive.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Boucher is for Boucher. And the TV cameras. He pays a lot of lip servoce to things that sound good, but won't stand up to inspection. I quit following him when he used longwall figures to warp the coal production for SWVA (80s)- not mentioning that 50% of the income base was gone from SWVA and in the hands of the folks that ran the large companies. 'Course that is good old capitolism. Forget the workers.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gotch
I knew that was why he said he voted no. But when you look at his previous support for bills that made it far easier for medical providers to go after those in debt to them and to go as far as taking property from them, add that to his no vote on a bill to prevent exactly that from happening, and I think there just might be little hidden motive.
There is a hidden motive...he wants to get re-elected...which IMO isn't a bad thing for this area. The good he's done far outweighs the bad. It has to be tough to be a Dem representing an area with such a conservative (almost to the point of reactionary) voter base. But, like I've said before, I think the way this area votes is more due to the fact that a huge percentage of folks around here are gullible enough to believe anything they are told, and can't think for themselves enough to read, comprehend, and form their own views on issues. All many know is they love guns, are intolerant of minorities to a large extent, don't like gays, and don't want to pay taxes (although many of 'em suck up more in government dollars than they have ever paid in). That being the case, if you were Boucher voting on this issue in an election year, what would you have done?
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by
simple man
Boucher is for Boucher. And the TV cameras. He pays a lot of lip servoce to things that sound good, but won't stand up to inspection. I quit following him when he used longwall figures to warp the coal production for SWVA (80s)- not mentioning that 50% of the income base was gone from SWVA and in the hands of the folks that ran the large companies. 'Course that is good old capitolism. Forget the workers.
I can remember when Westmoreland first brought the longwall into Bullett Mine...my dad spent 23 years working there mainly as a roof bolter and driving a shuttlecar (seems he shoveled alot of belts too, cuz that's all he really ever talks about concerning the mines anymore..so I guess he hated doing that.). The day they started mining coal with it, he told me the miners were essentially working themselves out of a job, because the longwall enabled the Coal Company to quickly rip out the coal which was easy to get to...and after the easy part was done they'd be gone. And he was right.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
It's a disappointment, but we knew it was coming and he voted 'no' on the first one too. It was done for bring some of the voters he lost to Cap and Trade back IMO.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sup-rbeast
There is a hidden motive...he wants to get re-elected...which IMO isn't a bad thing for this area. The good he's done far outweighs the bad. It has to be tough to be a Dem representing an area with such a conservative (almost to the point of reactionary) voter base. But, like I've said before, I think the way this area votes is more due to the fact that a huge percentage of folks around here are gullible enough to believe anything they are told, and can't think for themselves enough to read, comprehend, and form their own views on issues. All many know is they love guns, are intolerant of minorities to a large extent, don't like gays, and don't want to pay taxes (although many of 'em suck up more in government dollars than they have ever paid in). That being the case, if you were Boucher voting on this issue in an election year, what would you have done?
You seem to have an extraordinarily low opinion of people in this area, which may say more about you than it does about the people you ridicule.
And....me personally, I would have voted with my conscience and for what was right.
Why did he vote against the "keep Americans in their homes bill"? Why did he work his backside off to allow medical providers far greater freedom to squeeze blood from your turnip, including taking your home?
2+2 really does = 4 you know.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gotch
You seem to have an extraordinarily low opinion of people in this area, which may say more about you than it does about the people you ridicule.
And....me personally, I would have voted with my conscience and for what was right.
Why did he vote against the "keep Americans in their homes bill"? Why did he work his backside off to allow medical providers far greater freedom to squeeze bllod from your turnip, including taking your home?
2+2 really does = 4 you know.
No, I don't have a low opinion of the folks in this area...I was born here and elected to stay here after college...I love this area. And, my posts aren't ridicule, they are the reality of the situation. When folks still try to tell me Obama is the antichrist, not a citizen, and that they are going to form "death panels" now, and constantly complain about things which, in reality, are false..but then turn around believe everything FAUX News tells 'em, it shows their ignorance. And, you find a lot of that in this area. As for Boucher, I don't condone everything he does, but IMHO I think a lot of his votes on issues dealing with health care are based on keeping quality doctors in our region. Fact of the matter is, for most physicians, this isn't the most profitable place to practice their trade...and even though the legislation might not have been good, at the same time it gave quality doctors an incentive of sorts to practice medicine in areas of high poverty, like our own.
Re: Boucher's No Vote On Health Care Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sup-rbeast
No, I don't have a low opinion of the folks in this area...I was born here and elected to stay here after college...I love this area. And, my posts aren't ridicule, they are the reality of the situation. When folks still try to tell me Obama is the antichrist, not a citizen, and that they are going to form "death panels" now, and constantly complain about things which, in reality, are false..but then turn around believe everything FAUX News tells 'em, it shows their ignorance. And, you find a lot of that in this area. As for Boucher, I don't condone everything he does, but IMHO I think a lot of his votes on issues dealing with health care are based on keeping quality doctors in our region. Fact of the matter is, for most physicians, this isn't the most profitable place to practice their trade...and even though the legislation might not have been good, at the same time it gave quality doctors an incentive of sorts to practice medicine in areas of high poverty, like our own.
The people you talk about are not limited to this or any other geographical area.
Taking everything people have worked their entire lives for in order to pay for medical bills goes well beyond doctor incentive IMO.