Blagojevich pretty much gets off...
What the hell? How does this nut get off on 23 of 24 counts?
Ex-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich faces charges including racketeering, wire fraud, attempted extortion and bribery.
Chicago, Illinois (CNN) -- Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was found guilty on Tuesday of making false statements or representations to the FBI.
The jury, which deliberated for 14 days, said it was hung on 23 other counts against him and on the charges against the former governor's brother, Robert Blagojevich.
The former governor faced charges including racketeering, wire fraud, attempted extortion and bribery. A two-term Democrat, he was removed from office in January 2009 amid accusations that he attempted to sell the U.S. Senate seat that had been occupied by Barack Obama before Obama was elected president.
"I feel bad for my brother," said Robert Blagojevich, who spoke outside the Chicago courthouse shortly after the jury's decision.
The next court date in the case is scheduled for August 26.
Conviction on the counts of wire fraud, racketeering and attempted extortion would have brought a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, while a conviction on the count of solicitation of bribery would have carried a maximum sentence of 10 years and a fine of up to $250,000.
The maximum penalty for bribery conspiracy and false statements is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
In one conversation recorded by federal agents, the former governor told an aide, "I've got this thing, and it's [expletive] golden. I'm just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing."
Blagojevich's brother, Robert, stood trial with him on four of the charges.
Robert Blagojevich testified that his brother was "trying to politically work something to his benefit" in handling the Senate appointment but was thinking in terms of political horse-trading, not corruption.
"It didn't seem out of the ordinary, because Obama was taking a lot of people from Illinois with him to D.C.," said Robert Blagojevich, who raised money for his brother. He said the governor "was interested in the idea of being the head of Health and Human Services."
While awaiting trial, the ousted governor asserted his innocence in interviews and on Twitter, as well as during his appearances on the "Celebrity Apprentice" reality show.
Blagojevich found guilty on 1 charge; jury hung on 23 - CNN.com
Re: Blagojevich pretty much gets off...
He didn't get off, a mistrial was declared and the prosecution is planning to retry him. Oh, and BTW, why aren't you taking up for your fellow democrat? This is a first for you.
Tell me a politician that hasn't lied to the FBI before. All have lied. He was found guilty of that, and on the other counts, all jurors but one voted to convict. You have a nasty habit of stating your opinion on things and then posting the article. Who not just post the website and not the whole thing? Most all people on here already know what is going on and yet you just keep on posting bull. Do us all a favor and just quit posting on here, PLEASE!
Re: Blagojevich pretty much gets off...
I should have said "off for now", which he is, but should have been found guilty of most charges and in jail. And no, it's not a first. I've spoken against Kaine, John Edwards and just recently the admin. for the firing of Sherrod...Charlie Rangel is a piece of shit too. Sorry, if I don't agree with them, I don't take up for them...just happens to be the most assholes are in the GOP. This guy is a nut, he's delusional.
I'd say most of them haven't, just because you're a politician, doesn't mean you chat it up with the FBI regularly. What was so nasty about what I said? Or anything I say? I put the whole article always and the link, I put my comment into the OP instead of making another post. This is a forum and it's for posting things, like I've told everyone that's gotten all pissy and whined, just don't read what I post or put me on ignore...instead of reading it, replying and complaining.