Speakers remagnetization process?
Hello,
I have got some Altec 806-802 and 414-414 speakers that I would like to be remag'ed in order to match them (before reconing the the 41X) . Since the shipping cost to USA is too high, I found here in Switzerland, a Company who probably could do the job. However I would like to know the procedure: should I send them the internal AlNiCo magnet only or the full motor assembly? They are not specialized in loudspeakers and I would like to have control!
Many thanks,
Jean-Paul
Re: Speakers remagnetization process?
Motor/driver assemblies are generally charged only when assembled.
Disassembling an alnico motor will discharge the alnico slug.
Charging is generally the last, or nearly last step of building/re-building a woofer.
I would strongly advise having re-magnetization done ONLY by a reputable and and experienced speaker technician.
Having a shop that has no experience with delicate, and close tolerance loudspeaker motors do work for you is a poor exercise in economy, in my opinion.
Re: Speakers remagnetization process?
And we remember the horror stories of reverse polarity magnetizing that occurs with Alnico when they leave the machine in Ceramic magnet mode. Agree 100% with bowtie about the qualified personnel. Worth spending the money on IMHO.
Re: Speakers remagnetization process?
+2, I agree with Cal & Bowtie.
Re: Speakers remagnetization process?
Can you imagine trying to re-assemble a fully charged alnico slug into a motor assembly(with the precision necessary for a proper gap and alignment)?
My understanding is that GPA's gausser, and the procedure by which the magnets are charged is very similar to the one seen in this video at 2:05.
[How It's Made] Building a Speaker - YouTube
Re: Speakers remagnetization process?
JBL has/had a custom-made magnetizing machine. I still have their brochure stated it, it was back in 1975.