ALTEC LANSING 3184 18" SUBWOOFER | eBay
Printable View
Are these a rebadged EV?
No- EV has 2 1/2" coil. These have 3" Altec coil.
http://altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/Spe...%20Speaker.pdf
EV and Altec were both owned by the same company, so the frame is common.
Superficially at first glance there are many similarities.
Put one next to an EVM 18B, and one by one the similarities all go away leaving the mounting bolt circle as about the only thing that's the "same" between them.
I'm pretty sure the Altec frame is 1/2-3/4" deeper, there's more cone surface. I'm of course referring to an EVM-18B, the later EVX and whatever immediately preceeeded them might be different. Once upon a time i had both raw drivers, and sitting on a table the Altec is a good bit deeper, even more so if you took the magnet cover off the EVM.Quote:
EV and Altec were both owned by the same company, so the frame is common.
EDIT: there is at least one distinct and clear difference in the frames. The back side of the spokes on the Altec form a straight line from the mounting rim to the motor flange. It appears there were two frame versions for the EVM, both have a "knee" or angle in them between the motor flange and mounting rim.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/EVM-18B2.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ss/EVM-18B.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...427ss/3184.jpg
Never done an in person A/B inspection. Thanks!
The shorter distance would fit with a deeper frame. Likely the just modified the mold, so it could be produced with some commonality.
Note that those are just pics borrowed without permission off the net.:D
And in a little irony, note the repaired cracked rim on the nude EVM. The irony being i would have guessed the EVM to be the stronger rim based on the attention to reinforcing ribs. I think the 3184 rim is smooth front and back, probably thicker, and the stronger of the 2.
I'm surprised nobody has jumped on this yet.....
If it was a pair they would be...
Yeah, it's gone. Great sub woofer.
I have 2 of the Altec systems. Somewhere I have a photo.
Would have been good to snatch this one up. Hope someone here got it.
Ron
I was going to pull the trigger.But it wasn't a pair and then I asked myself how bad do I need it ? I don't need anymore .:Can't belive it: