New to Altec - what to buy
Hi all. New boy here. Been fascinated by horns for years but never had the wherewithal to get a set. I have been playing with large driver, large cabinet speakers for a good while now and really appreciate the effortless power they produce. 15" Tannoy Berkeley's (Alnico!!) where my first (I still miss the smooth presentation) and since then its been DIY all the way, ending up with a pair of onken based 12" fullrangers at the moment.
I have been reading up all I can about the 802/806/808/902/811/511.......
I have available at the moment
806a-16 with 811b - In UK ?475
808 converted to 802-8g with either NOS 511b or preloved 511b - IN Europe ?440 with NOS horns
802-8g with 811b - In US ?395 including postage but not import taxes
902-8b - In UK ?240
In terms of initial cost vs. physical return I think the set from the US seems to make more sense as they are the most original unmolested set. But I have concerns (might not be real tho) that Alnico mags need to be re-magnetised as they age. From what I've read, the 902 is the more modern (1980's), non Alnico (no remag issue) and has the better U/HF but requires a higher xover of say 1200Hz and a decent slope to prevent overpower damage at lower frequencies. So the 902 seems a good buy from the sense of age and age related deterioration.
This will be a DIY effort and horns will be built into a cabinet for WAF - thats actually the only way I can get them to pass muster - that and buying new carpet and sofa :rolleyes:
I value HF extension and smoothness but must have SNAP in the midrange and so will use a 10" or 8" cone for that
Please help me decide based on your REAL LIFE experience which would be the best buy
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by
JRKO
Hi all. New boy here. Been fascinated by horns for years but never had the wherewithal to get a set. I have been playing with large driver, large cabinet speakers for a good while now and really appreciate the effortless power they produce. 15" Tannoy Berkeley's (Alnico!!) where my first (I still miss the smooth presentation) and since then its been DIY all the way, ending up with a pair of onken based 12" fullrangers at the moment.
I have been reading up all I can about the 802/806/808/902/811/511.......
I have available at the moment
806a-16 with 811b - In UK ?475
808 converted to 802-8g with either NOS 511b or preloved 511b - IN Europe ?440 with NOS horns
802-8g with 811b - In US ?395 including postage but not import taxes
902-8b - In UK ?240
In terms of initial cost vs. physical return I think the set from the US seems to make more sense as they are the most original unmolested set. But I have concerns (might not be real tho) that Alnico mags need to be re-magnetised as they age. From what I've read, the 902 is the more modern (1980's), non Alnico (no remag issue) and has the better U/HF but requires a higher xover of say 1200Hz and a decent slope to prevent overpower damage at lower frequencies. So the 902 seems a good buy from the sense of age and age related deterioration.
This will be a DIY effort and horns will be built into a cabinet for WAF - thats actually the only way I can get them to pass muster - that and buying new carpet and sofa :rolleyes:
I value HF extension and smoothness but must have SNAP in the midrange and so will use a 10" or 8" cone for that
Please help me decide based on your REAL LIFE experience which would be the best buy
From my experience with altec a-8 a-7 a-5 and 604. THe bigger the horn the more fidelity or definition you get . The A_5 with either large multicells or Mantaray such has the MR94 tops any thing on the market. Next stop JBL 4675C seies.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/27.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/28.jpg
have a good day.
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Thanks for the reply LICORNE. I love the look of the mantaray but really like the multicell look
Bit the bullet a few mins ago and called Bill at GPA!!! Great guy - Man I wish I lived in the USA
I'll let you know what happens......
Whats preferred, single horns or multicells????
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
For best sound I'm partial to Multicells.But MantaRays sound nice too.The MR594II/288's.The Manta ray is a 4 bolt configuration though. What is the dimensions of your room ?
Welcome to the "Altec Users Board" !
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by
JRKO
Thanks for the reply LICORNE. I love the look of the mantaray but really like the multicell look
Bit the bullet a few mins ago and called Bill at GPA!!! Great guy - Man I wish I lived in the USA
I'll let you know what happens......
Whats preferred, single horns or multicells????
For professional application the Mantaray MR 94 is currently used with Altec A5 in new installations. Both sound good but for even dispersion the Mantaray or single horn is the best way to go. LARGE HORNS
THe MR 594 II even if it uses a 1.4"throat is considered a small horn.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/29.jpg
Thie next picture are Altec A4 with JBL horn and driver and JBL subwoofers.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/30.jpg
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Licorne this is for a home environment and is not a professional install (Movie Theater/Sound Reinforcement) which also has to pass the WAF. The MR594II is a large horn I have a pair here.And IMO he will be able to make a smaller box for them which will fill his requirements better I think.The MR94 is twice the size.I bought a pair of 511E's that were mounted in a box,pro boxes.And may also be an option. We still haven't heard from him on room size which will help tremendously.IMHO
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/31.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/32.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/33.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/05/34.jpg
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Altec Best
Yes you are right about room size . But as A former projectionist and sound operator THe altecs with Big horns are the best HI FI souning speakers.
Same comment by another cinema installer on film tech:
quote Steve :
I'll put an Altec A-4/MR94 up against any large system or an Altec A-5/MR94 up against any smaller system any day. And as to medium horns...the MRII594 is unbeatable in my book.
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
If it's for home use, why not a model 19 or similar?
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Altec Best
The Manta ray is a 4 bolt configuration though.
Not certain if referring to a particular one, but of course not all MR's are 4 bolt.
Search Phila CL for MRII564 for decent pics of the 3 bolt example. (yes, mine).
Re: New to Altec - what to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by
LICORNE
THe bigger the horn the more fidelity or definition you get .
That is utterly ridiculous. Sorry. A bigger horn has advantages only at longer wavelengths.
The JBL slot tweeter has a tiny horn and performs well.
The OP is likely not going to want to foot the bill to ship a set of tar filleds to where he lives.
The "smaller system" referenced in that quote is a smaller theater system, and the comparison is for theater use, where does he say "in a living room"? There are lots of good small home systems. He doesn't need huge boxes.
I'm with Pano, 19's or a cheaper to buy and ship set of 14's. If you got unlimited funds a pair of 18's.